Poipu Shark Attack?

Anyone heard news about an OC-1 being attacked by a shark off Poipu?

Submitted by kdkoors on Thu, 09/22/2011 - 2:46pm

Yep. It hit the canoe two or three times. Probably a small reef shark- no bigger than 4-6 feet. All I saw was the head as it latched on to the forward part of the portside of the hull and came around and latched onto the right side of the hull again about a foot ahead of the drainwell. I think I hit him with the paddle good at this point. Canoe was taking on water and I had to get to shore(maybe out 1/2 to 3/4 mile)- found a neat spot just north of Palama Beach where I could take the iakos and ama off and drain the canoe. Put the canoe back together once drained and hiked up thru the coffee fields with canoe to the first group of houses in Kalaheo. Excitng experience. I had water, slippers. The gang I was paddling with thought I was just telling them to go on the second leg of our run ,which they did, as my paddle waving didn't tell them i was in trouble (we are correcting that for future paddles as there is a universal language for kayaks and canoes in the ocean we need to follow. My number one suggestion after the universal paddle language review is to always carry footware of some sort and water. Insure your canoe so you can abandon it if necessary (State Farm $183/yr-$250 deductible) once yu get to land as there isn't always going to be a nice spot to pull your canoe out of the water!

#1 Thu, 09/22/2011 - 4:35pm

Glad to hear you are ok!

My parents live right above those coffee fields and it was our long course dirt bike track back in the day. That's a pretty long walk with nothing, must have been brutal carrying an OC1.

#2 Thu, 09/22/2011 - 8:00pm

Glad you're okay. Would it be too insensitive to ask if you have some pics of the canoe?

#3 Thu, 09/22/2011 - 8:16pm

In addition to boat insurance perhaps increase your life insurance policy as well.

#4 Fri, 09/23/2011 - 1:06pm

at my age term insurance would cost probably the same as a new canoe!

#5 Fri, 09/23/2011 - 9:17pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.250 seconds.