Race Around the Hat 2011

Not to fear gang! Life got in the way for a bit but the people at HVA are hard at work to bring you the 2011 Edition of The Race Around the Hat. Hawai'i's biggest, longest running, and most prize filled rudderless race is here to stay. Who will get to etch their name on the perpetual trophy in 2011? Will the youngsters from Tahiti return to defend their 18 and under title?

Keep your eyes and ears open for announcements about registration, a new course, and a better race format. Dust off that rudderless and get on the water!

Submitted by HVA on Mon, 08/01/2011 - 7:30pm

yay.

#1 Mon, 08/01/2011 - 7:44pm

prospective dates?

luke, aren't you on you honeymoon? Leave the internet alone.

#2 Tue, 08/02/2011 - 7:33am

I think the date of the race is shown on the left of the main page. It says Saturday Sept 10th.

#3 Wed, 08/03/2011 - 5:23pm

Registration is now live. The links below will take you to the registration forms. New for this year... Entry fees are two dollars more for adults. Juniors can still race for free if they have a canoe which they can loan out, otherwise entry is $5. We apologize for these small fee increases but they were needed to make sure we are able to cover race costs.

Registration closes two weeks prior to the event. PLEASE make it a point to come out for the race if you register online. The HVA purchases race shirts, beverages, breakfast and lunch based on the number of registered paddlers.

Good luck everyone, we hope to see you there!

ADULT REGISTRATION

JUNIOR REGISTRATION

#4 Sun, 08/14/2011 - 10:58am

Pretty excited… perhaps I should try to figure these V1's out a lil bit more over the next few weeks….

#5 Sun, 08/14/2011 - 4:46pm

Course is set. Don't forget to register!

So far we have sponsorship and prizes from O'iwi, Kialoa, Kamanu Composites, Maoli Va'a, Tahitian Outrigger, Hammer Products, and Da Kine with more to come!

alt text

#6 Sun, 08/21/2011 - 12:28pm

The green navigation buoy is about 800 feet to the southeast of your turning point. You cannot put your own buoy in the middle of the shipping channel.

#7 Mon, 08/22/2011 - 1:17am

Thanks -steve. We never drop a buoy in the channel. However I couldn't see the buoy on the satellite picture available from google. So I did the next best thing and approximated the course. On the day of the race we will be able to see the buoy and adjust accordingly. This map is simply a representation of what we plan on doing. Please bear in mind that because of ocean conditions and/or safety this may not be the actual course at all. Enjoy!

#8 Mon, 08/22/2011 - 5:39am

Aw shucks, but the first race of the ILH kayak racing season is on the same date (remember that top Jr. paddler that had to leave early?). Also, ILH football players cannot participate until football season is pau.

#9 Mon, 08/22/2011 - 8:23am

A couple details about the race I may have forgotten to post in the event info.

8:01 am Paperwork, Waivers and Breakfast
9:15 am Races Start

Lunch and Awards will immediately follow the conclusion of the final race.

#10 Sun, 08/28/2011 - 12:13pm

Thank you to all our racers and sponsors. The 3rd Edition of the Race Around the Hat went great! Mahalo to Ocean Paddler TV, Island Paddler, KIALOA Paddles, ‘Oiwi Ocean Gear, Kamanu Composites, Maoli Va'a, Keahiakahoe Canoe Club, PA'A, Kaholo Screen Printing, and VIM.

Once again we had an extremely close race in the Open Men's division. Everyone that came out went home with at least one prize and in some cases a handful. We'd like to sincerely thank our sponsors that have been with the Race Around the Hat from day one. Great sponsors as well as very enthusiastic paddlers from Washington, Tahiti, Australia, Japan, Maui, and Oahu make this race what it is. Being able to see a bunch of happy athletes go home with full stomachs, new stories to tell, raffle prizes, and huge smiles makes the work worthwhile. See you all next year!

We'll get the results up ASAP.

#11 Sat, 09/10/2011 - 5:32pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.149 seconds.