Race Director Appreciation Day

Sorry, I don't want to take away or interfere with mother's day at all.. but I do want to recognize the awesome work of all the race directors out there. This year I gained some perspective by being more of a spectator than a participant. And it's pretty unreal what awesome races we have nowadays and what equally awesome people we have working behind the scenes. Unfortunately, I know that I've definitely taken it for granted in the past.

While it looked like the sport was losing energy for a little while, I think it's safe to say that all that energy is back in full force now. We now have more than two months of world-class events to choose from in Hawai'i.
I meant to write this post after the solo in appreciation of Manny and Pa'a, but I got lazy and didn't do it. Now after the Kaua'i World Challenge I couldn't hold off any longer. Those were the only two of this season's big races that I got to see, and they were both better than ever. And, from what I hear, all of the other races this season were of the same caliber.

All of our races happen through the hard work of a small handful of people. But it is those people who are the ones that are really driving our sport. If canoe builders build terrible canoes, people will still paddle. If race organizers hold terrible races, it's the end of our sport.

In the end though, it comes back on us to support the races. They need us as much as we need them, and we should try and show them the same support that they selflessly give us.

Thank you race organizers.

Submitted by luke on Sat, 05/07/2011 - 9:19pm

Nicely said Luke. What a lot of people maybe don't realize is 99% of the folks behind the scenes are volunteers. Hats off to all of them.

#1 Sat, 05/07/2011 - 11:17pm

Well said Luke! The new energy reverberates (is that a word?) throughout the paddling world. It seems like many of the events that people had dreamed of for years are now real thanks to people like Manny and the other race organizers and volunteers. Where would the sport be w/out them?

#2 Sun, 05/08/2011 - 8:51am

DITTO Luke!!! The word 'competition' actually comes from the latin and means 'to strive together' not 'against'. So it is great to see all the race directors really supporting each other and racing in each other's races as well. Now we just need to get DLNR on-board.

#3 Mon, 05/09/2011 - 9:49am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.311 seconds.