R.I.P to my beloved OCP.com

This site is dead!!

Hopefully the Torrent will become it's life support!!

Ironic maybe.

Submitted by healthyearth on Thu, 12/22/2011 - 10:17pm

i think everyone's on facebook

#1 Fri, 12/23/2011 - 3:33pm

not me

#2 Fri, 12/23/2011 - 5:45pm

There are plenty of people reading the site, quickly browsing the thread titles for something interesting, they're just not contributing. OCP hits register on my stats when someone clicks on a video, so i can gauge traffic based on averages and past stats. I agree though, Facebook has become a blog/forum killer. Although blogs are making a comeback now people realize content on FB disappears quickly off the page.

R

#3 Fri, 12/23/2011 - 6:36pm

The Torrent will be an intresting thread. Cant find any images of her yet. Very curious.....

#4 Fri, 12/23/2011 - 8:42pm

I agree, not much going on here, but still lots of browsers.

Could also be contributed to the winds being up for lots of downwind runs here.

Let's see, so far I've seen on the Kamanu Composites website they are gearing up to make a better Pueo. Heard yesterday that there was a demo/prototype of it, but haven't heard of what they've done to it or if it performed better yet.

Today, I read on here about the new Torrent from Outrigger Connection they are coming out with. From the description of it, it's going to be very interesting indeed to see how it performs over the Zephyr. Can't wait to try out the Demo when they have them available.

The Kaolele from Paddle Sports International seems to be an interest with its adjustable footwell. The December Pacific Paddler has an ad on the inside cover of Olympic Qualifyer Ryan Dolan on it.

"Big paddle maker" Kialoa has a new Hybrid called the Nehu. Similarly shaped like the Axell II, but longer at 18 inches (over the 16.5 of the Axell II) and knife thin like the Teva Hoe Hybrid. Will be interested to hear what others think of it.

#5 Fri, 12/23/2011 - 10:15pm

Rumor has it that Ryan Dolan will be here for the entire 1 man season, including the solo. Anybody think its realistic that anyone can beat him?

#6 Sat, 12/24/2011 - 8:29am

not pretending that i know what anyone is thinking, but that depends on whether he's on a kayak. also i'm pretty sure his training focus is on something other than canoeing...

guys should worry more about Pat.

#7 Sat, 12/24/2011 - 9:10am

Here I thought the "Storm" would save the site
happy holidays

#8 Sat, 12/24/2011 - 10:27am

My bad. I meant Pat.

#9 Sat, 12/24/2011 - 11:18am

I enjoy this site....I enjoy all wala au about so many different things involved with paddling. I know controversy makes for a more lively conversation but RIP...I think not. Thank you guys for keeping the blog open and for doing all the work it takes to do so. I read it everyday...I pass on what I read to others....makes us all better connected. Facebook sucks.

Keep up the good work...mahalo to all contributors and have a great Christmas and 2012!

poidog

#10 Sat, 12/24/2011 - 3:00pm

^^^^^ Agree with poidog. ^^^^^^

#11 Sat, 12/24/2011 - 3:16pm

RIP? I hope not. I don't post or comment, if ever, only in a great while. I look at OCP.com daily to at least see what is going on in the small world of outrigger paddling. I'm in a virtual black hole of the mainland (S. Florida) where the sighting of a OC-1 is as rare as teeth in a chicken's mouth. There are a few 6's around but very few. Thank you to all that contribute here on a regular basis, providing videos, coaching and insight to the newest OC's being developed. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

#12 Sun, 12/25/2011 - 7:26am

Up here in Canada its much the same. a person can paddle now but its would not be enjoyable. our training on a regular basis starts in March or even April. so I build, read this site and wait. So, thanks to all you paddlers with common interests for the conversation. and Merry Christmas to all of you and your families and happy new year.

#13 Sun, 12/25/2011 - 8:27am

I love the Ocpaddler.com family.

To be honest, they are more loyal and predictable than my co-workers or family.

#14 Mon, 12/26/2011 - 12:55pm

Got to figure when the ocean is running, everybody stay paddling. What you expect?

#15 Tue, 12/27/2011 - 4:57pm

eh koacanoe, No scade wave when you drive your fancy kauwilla thru Kaaawa.

#16 Wed, 12/28/2011 - 7:09am

Excuse eh! That was you who wen yell? Sorry, I nevah see you. I was hurrying to Ching's store for some buttah mochi, soda, spicy chicken and one 12 pak with a bunch of hungry teenagers. Good thing Carlton was there for give me credit, but he said: next time you gotta "co-sign" for me.

#17 Wed, 12/28/2011 - 9:31am

Fuzerider was educating you people on here regarding boat stuff , especially chined boat stuff long before anyone ever heard of Facebook.

#18 Mon, 01/02/2012 - 3:09pm

Well all find something new to talk about on here soon. Post some new ideas guys.

#19 Wed, 01/04/2012 - 12:34am

I think the true test for predicting the death of OCP (not that I think it's dead, or dying....) is when FuzeRider comes back on, and nobody rises to the bait.....

donM

#20 Wed, 01/04/2012 - 9:11am

I think maturity is a better word than death. It's a testament to our maturity that nobody took the bait.

#21 Wed, 01/04/2012 - 12:33pm

winds died and look at all the pretty new threads.

#22 Wed, 01/04/2012 - 8:20pm

This place maybe slowed down quite a bit in the shadow of the mighty Facebook but this is still the place place to talk about Hawaiian paddling in great detail , Facebook will never be the venue for this , how ever , that said , I still find myself looking for a (like) button even on here when I see a worthwhile comment .

#23 Thu, 01/05/2012 - 7:27am

I have a Question. What do the new unlimited class canoe bottoms emulate? below the water line. has any one had a close look at them?

#24 Thu, 01/05/2012 - 8:49pm

they're wet!

#25 Thu, 01/05/2012 - 11:03pm

One of , if not the best designer in the world of fast hulls is Ted Van Dusen . He is a fast paddler too , pretty tight , I think with the folks at Epic .
http://www.composite-eng.com/

#26 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 4:10am

From Kamanu website:
The Pueo has exceeded our wildest expectations. It has traveled to locations we can only dream of. It has won more races than we knew existed. But, most importantly, it has enhanced the lives of people around the world. While we believe it to be the best canoe on the market, we have taken on the challenge of creating its greatest rival. To do so, we are re-organzing, re-tooling, and gearing up to bring you the next revolution in outrigger canoeing.

As of January 1st, we will no longer be taking new orders for the first generation Pueo.

Feel free to inquire anytime about our progress on this new endeavor or about the availability of off-the-shelf canoes. And keep posted on our website for more information during this exciting time.

#27 Sat, 01/07/2012 - 9:27am

so.. let me get this straight.
Kamanu designs one of the most prolific oc1's of all time. Everybody and their brother is frothing at the chance to drop 4k on one. Can't make em fast enough or keep em stocked. Hords of consumers are getting on waiting lists pay a premium for a Peuo at a time when the american economy is in the toilet.

And now they've decided not to take any more orders for them??

wow.
that's one piss poor business decision right there.

#28 Sun, 01/08/2012 - 11:17am

The reason for the closing of the list was added on their site since there was a comment about it on their Facebook page.

We at Kamanu Composites thank you for your continued support over the years. Without it, none of this could have been possible.
*Edit:
Due to some confusion, here is a bit of clarification:
1) The new canoe will still be the Pueo. As it will retain much of the design and performance aspects of it. Oeup, as the title of the blog post, was a reference to our first print advertisement for the Pueo. Not the name of the canoe.
2) It likely won’t be available until mid-summer 2012. And we won’t take orders on it until it has proven to be better than its predecessor.
3) The closing of the list has more to do with the excessive wait time and less to do with the new design. And that anyone who orders now will likely have their order come up long after the new canoe is in production.

Pretty sure that the current waiting list changed (got shorter) after the news. Some people who were coming up put off getting a new (1st gen) Pueo if they already had one and will wait for the 2nd generation Pueo when it is ready for production.

#29 Sun, 01/08/2012 - 11:43am

As there has been 29 comments on this RIP thread, can we assume that OC Paddler may actually be alive and well?

#30 Sun, 01/08/2012 - 11:48am

The winds went down and the Holiday activities are over.

#31 Sun, 01/08/2012 - 11:56am

@saltydog- poor business descision, or actually a great one? for once a business is actually putting the satisfaction of its future customers at the top of its priority list. not its bottom line.

what has happened is those guys in Kailua have decided to treat their customers the way they'd like to be treated. they actually state they'll scrap the entire design if it's not faster than the original pueo?! for once someone is looking out for the consumer and they're met with synical remarks like the ones above. look at their track record. one can see they did the exact same thing when the kainalu was phased out and the pueo took its place. everyone was given the choice to wait for the new canoe. wonder how many loyal customers that pis poor business move garnered them?

based on actions like these i can tell you what boat i'd buy if i ever got another ruddered canoe. in this paddling market where all the designs are just about equal and it's a question of personal preference they make my decision easy.

of course i'll be judged as a consumer falling for marketing propaganda or a pueo fanatic. but bottom line is it's nice to be treated as a human in a world filled with numbers.

#32 Sun, 01/08/2012 - 2:02pm

Agreed Jc9 0 ... Salty Dog, how would those people feel that just waited all that time if the new one came out unannounced just as they got the first generation ? And do you really think those people on the list are gonna drop OFF it ? Now they are even more stoked for having a choice and being that much 'closer' to the new one. I bet there will be some line shuffling as those who just want somethng may even get a chance to move UP with others sayin, " no, no, you go ahead bra."

Everything progresses and designers already know what they would do next as soon as the 'new' one is done. Production is the problem and stands in the way of great innovation IMO.

It takes balls to talk about your next new thing while the old one is still going strong but the tough decision has to me made and I applaud the guys for doing it sooner than later. No doubt its gonna cause them to work even harder too.

aloha,
pog

edit to add ... Thanks Keizo !!!

#33 Sun, 01/08/2012 - 2:03pm

From what I understand, they announced ahead of time that they were shutting the list off jan 1st and explained why they were doing it. If you didn't want to take and chance you would still get your gen 1 pueo. If you wanted to chance it and see the new one then they let you know another was coming. How is that bad business?

And as far as changing the Pueo goes, its a smart move. When it first came out there was nothing like it and it was head and shoulder above anything else as far as a canoe for most water conditions and average paddler size. Thats not the case now. The XS has changed that for sure. They won't put out a canoe that doesn't rock so people are gonna go nuts for the new one. Only down side is that the value of pueo's will drop through the floor - or come down to reality. I paddle a scorpius and most likely always will but the kamanu guys do good things for the sport and run a good business. And, if everyone paddled the same boat we wouldn't have near as much smack to talk!

#34 Mon, 01/09/2012 - 6:00am

I know it's a stretch but sure would be nice if Kamanu added a second manufacturing facility on the mainland. Kai Wa'a too.

#35 Tue, 01/10/2012 - 1:34pm

second manufacturing facility on the mainland. Kai Wa'a too.

Why when they have one in China?

#36 Tue, 01/10/2012 - 4:58pm

Ugh Rambo,

I really hope you say this in jest ..... Wouldn't you rather see some mates having a go @ building right there ! ?

Or Kamanu guys expanding ?

most sincerely,
pat

#37 Tue, 01/10/2012 - 10:15pm

The reference was to Kai Waá not Kamanu, that;s why their name was omitted in my quote. We get our Peggies and Scorps from Kai Waá China and very well made to. So sending some to the mainland seems like a reasonable proposition.

Kamanu of course everyone knows has done the opposite and believe in local made products and they are highly respected for that. Isn't it difficult and costly to produce glass and resin product on the mainland? That's what i've heard. There also has to be a market to sell to to justify setting up an additional manufacturing facility.

#38 Tue, 01/10/2012 - 10:50pm

Your private alternative for ocean activities in Maui. Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Tours, Ocean Kayak Tours, SUP Stand Up Paddle Board, Private Surf Lessons.
http://hawaiianpaddlesports.com/canoe-tours

#39 Tue, 11/20/2012 - 10:08pm

Go back about a week and you'll see a thread titled Future Pueo.

#40 Wed, 01/11/2012 - 6:36am

Should be 3-6 months away from a flurry of comparisons on new Oc1's out there...

#41 Wed, 01/11/2012 - 6:05pm

Interesting results from the first Oahu race this past weekend. New canoes- great finish by John Foti and others . One race does not make the season but this season will be an interesting one to watch!

#42 Wed, 01/11/2012 - 9:41pm

Paddlefast,

What type of canoe did John F and Pat D. ride?

#43 Thu, 01/12/2012 - 6:14am

John Foti was on the kaolele(sp?) and Pat Dolan was on the XM I think.

#44 Thu, 01/12/2012 - 6:51am

Foti was on a Kaolele. Dolan was on a XM. A "modified" one at that.

#45 Thu, 01/12/2012 - 6:55am

Modified? Do tell. I always wonder how the best boats like the scorp or pueo can actually be improved upon.

#46 Thu, 01/12/2012 - 8:20am

Well JC this is how you do it. Make the XM more like the old Pueo then make the new Pueo look more like the old Pueo (Obviously the new Pueo sucks cause Jimmy didn't win abviously the the old Pueo is better than the XM or XS because more of them were in the top 20). This goes without saying but.......yes you could add chines to the ...........top part of the hull. See most people think it's better to add to bottom part, but not the case, it's really the top part of hull that needs them. If you design the top properly you could actually make a table like surface that you could set drinks and snacks on for the longer races. I don't claim to be a buider per se but I do like to think. I dont wonder why things are I wonder how things can be. Hope this helps in your journey.

I originally came here to talk about the mass partipation in races that we have seen in the past two years. This year is quite amazing especially because we have had big turnout on no wind days. It used to be that the big turnout was only on windy days. I believe this is purely a result of better crafts being put on the water. Also, I am really liking the little summary Manny gives about the race. A little more detail would be nice. I know Manny isn't much of a talker but I know deep down there is a write that needs to be unleashed. Van Gogh also realized his talent late in life.

#47 Thu, 01/12/2012 - 8:42am

Hey healthyearth- you thought OCPaddler.com was dead and now we have a fun thread going. Yes, the participation was great. God did a great job with evolution- canoe builders and almost all builders of anything believe in that too. I really like the table idea as being a slow paddler I'd have some pupus in my fannie pak to enjoy on the long paddles.

#48 Thu, 01/12/2012 - 1:46pm

I usually try and purge the pupus from my fanny pack prior to going out on the water...

#49 Fri, 01/13/2012 - 7:53am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.272 seconds.