scorpious xs

did anyone hear bout the new "scorpious xs" and how good it is and if anyone tried it yet.....? how do we get one

Submitted by kahanaboy on Tue, 01/18/2011 - 12:09pm

tried alex look's xs after the kanaka ikaika race on sunday...in the lil amount of time i was paddlin it i thot it was awesome...I put my name on the wait list w/ one of the reps...

#1 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 12:39pm

As you are on Maui, go to KAi's shop in Kahului Pier 1. Try the demo. Felipe Gomes is going fast on it.
There will be a demo soon on Oahu- call Doug Lock or Kea. Tom has a demo on Kauai- call 6520406 to get on waitlist.

#2 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 5:38pm

Anyone have specifics as to size? How does it compare to the Pegasus? Nothing on Kai's website about it yet.

#3 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 6:34pm

I have been fortunate enough to have been paddling the new Scorpius XS for the last month or so. In my opinion, it is very similar to the XM...they both have very nice glide and hold their hull speed very nicely. The XS is smaller volume than the XM...I have had the XS out in all kinds of conditions and absolutely love it and can't wait till my own XS is done! :)
Noelani Auger

#4 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 7:18pm

thanks.... but anyone know the specifications on the boat

#5 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 9:01pm

about 3 inches shorter than the XM which is 21 feet long.Cockpit more forward by about 2-3 inches. Finer entry. About an inch narrower at the cockpit. seems to hold a 185 lb paddler well. NOELANI is about 110lbs but very strong so canoe seems to accomodate good range of weight. Can accomodate taller paddlers- probably in the 6'4" to maybe 6'6"range depending on inseam. Best to try it, like any canoe to see if it is what one wants. Hull weight from about 18-19 lbs depending on layup

#6 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 9:39pm

Any pics to share?

#7 Tue, 01/18/2011 - 10:48pm

How does the Scorpious XS compare to the Pegasus? Or is it just a renamed Peggie?

#8 Wed, 01/19/2011 - 5:59am

Is the XS in full production or are the boats currently being paddled pre-production models? Any news on timeline for full production in HI and or China?

#9 Wed, 01/19/2011 - 10:12am

Boats are being cranked out of Maui only. I think there might be a 2nd mold being used now or soon so the list should be reasonable.

#10 Wed, 01/19/2011 - 12:33pm

any updates on this thread?

#11 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 12:33am

Yeah, the list is getting longer and longer.

#12 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 5:12am

The boat is awesome in the surf, its more volume than a pegasus but its not as big as an XM. It feels really easy to maneuver in the surf and feels really comfortable. It feels better than anything else that I have ever been on...

#13 Sun, 01/22/2012 - 7:54pm

the XS is also being made in china. i talked to doug lock, the rep for oahu, and he said the wait list is between 4 to 6 months. They moved the cockpit up a couple inches, so it runs a little smoother. i got to demo it, and it runs super smooth. in my opinion, it rivals the pueo, based on my size (6'2: 165lbs.)

#14 Mon, 01/23/2012 - 2:01am

Seems funny that the XS has been out for about a year and not one word about it on Kai Wa'a's website.

#15 Mon, 01/23/2012 - 7:23am

Yep! some people just don't update their websites like Kai. Crazy. But the XS is a good fun canoe. KAi would rather tinker on his canoes than the website.

#16 Mon, 01/23/2012 - 10:21am

#17 Fri, 03/02/2012 - 10:18am

Yea, that's great if you live in Hawaii or other place where you can see and try OC1s. For someone without that luxury they have to rely on the internet and manufacturers' websites to research and make an informed decision on an expensive OC1. So it's much more than just some website.

#18 Wed, 01/25/2012 - 6:03pm

Hopefully these posts will encourage Kai to share the info about his canoes, especially the XS and the latest tweeking he is doing on the XM with extended footwells etc. Ocean Ohana and JD at Northwest Outrigger I hear are getting a shipment of XS soon- but what is soon is a good guess- slow boat from China. I hear they came out relatively light so we'll see.

#19 Wed, 01/25/2012 - 8:41pm

I think updating your website is incredibly important to staying relevant. I think Kamanu does an amazing job with their website and keeping people apprised of their latest creation and future endeavors. People love to read literature on products they are interested in. It helps them form opinions and make educated purchases. I'd like to read up on the specs of the XS as well as the rumored XL.

#20 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 7:41am

I completely agree with 808.2.619 paddler.

This has been a bit of a pet peeve for me personally. To be honest, a part of what influenced me into getting a Huki was Jude's website. Being able to read about each canoe, and tinker around with the customization options got me really excited about it.

In this day and age, your presense on the internet has almost surpassed your store-front presense ( in my opinion). This is especially true for boat manufacturers. If I'm in the West/East Coast, looking to get an OC1, I'm going to be doing as much research online as I can. Its very possible for someone to find, decide, order and receive a canoe without ever seeing the pyshical storefront.

Of course you'd want to demo as many canoes as you can, which means going somewhere or contacting someone with a demo unit. But unless you're part of a bigger club, or knows someone willing to let you try out their canoe, you're going to the manufacturer's website to get info, and probably who to contact to set something up.

No disrespect intended to any manufacturers. It'd just be great to be able to read more about paddling/canoes on days I can't get out to the water.

#21 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 11:40am

For information gathering, websites are nice. However, a canoe is like a car is like a house is like a pair of shoes. To buy one for the first time without ever having tried it isnt the smartest thing. I understand that in the mainland or outside the country its tough to get the info, but when im in 10ft waves with 25 mph winds im really glad the guy who built my boat was focusing on my lay up and not his website.

#22 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 6:41pm

that's right everyone. an up to date website is a sure sign of shoddily built canoe. buyer beware.

sorry, the other thread made me grumpy.

#23 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 7:16pm

I agree, buying something sight unseen is rather foolish, but if you want me to even consider your product, you need to grab my attention and inform me about your product, otherwise you're basically setting me up to look at your competition's product.

The fact that we're all on here contributing to this online forum means we're all pretty tech savvy, or at least online savvy, so to downplay the value of a website and it's importance to a company is contradictory. I'll bet a dozen Libby's manapuas that the majority of you on here spend a good amount of time checking out various paddling websites for videos, new products, and stories that involve the paddling world. The internet is a powerful thing.

To say that a boat builder is going to sacrifice the quality of his product to maintain a website is a stretch, but I get your point. All I'm trying to say is a website is a valuable piece of customer service that shouldn't be overlooked.

#24 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 9:10pm

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic. I just don't really think you can learn what you REALLY need to know about a canoe from a website. Like the production quality, etc. This stuff you learn only from word of mouth and whats often talked about in here. Up to date and informative websites would be nice from all the builders, I guess I just don't really think it will happen. Other than Luke guys. I really like how Kamanu is keeping people informed, and they should as they have so much going on.

#25 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 11:34pm

Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy my XM from the info I received on Kai's website. I did my research, I demoed the boat both in Hawaii and Cali, talked to a few people who had the boat, and then pulled the trigger. However, if Kai's website didn't say that there was going to be an XM coming soon, I would have looked elsewhere for my hot rod. The fact that his website showed a Scorpius on the front page, but posted the info about the XM grabbed my attention. There has to be something said about marketing and advertisement. This was over a year ago and the website has not changed.

In the end, I'm still a Kai Wa'a fan.

#26 Sat, 01/28/2012 - 7:23am

Just updated my website.

www.onnopaddles.com

Got some vids of my little guy on there now in Standup and Skeleton closet.

aloha,
pog

#27 Sat, 01/28/2012 - 3:09pm

finally got to demo an xs yesterday. really like the way the canoe felt. been paddling a pegasus for a few months and on the xs it felt like it was much more stable and controllable at the limit. hoping to place my order soon, anybody have an idea on wait times for a maui xs?

#28 Tue, 01/31/2012 - 6:48am

Kai Wa'a site now mentions the availablity of the XS and has Alex Look pictured on one.

http://www.kaiwaa.com/

#29 Wed, 02/01/2012 - 6:45pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.338 seconds.