Ship 1mans to Maui

How do I ship 1mans to Maui? I know there are containers, trailers, and platforms. Which is the cheapest if I do not have a trailer? How do I pack them so they dont get damaged?

Submitted by maemae16 on Tue, 10/11/2011 - 11:47am

Good question, because I haven't shipped any canoes or surfskis to the neighbor islands in years, and I'd like to know how it's done now a days? The last time I shipped a ski to Kauai, I got scolding at Young Bros for not "palletizing" ahead of time. Before was easy, all you had to do was rest the canoe on top one old tire casing on the pallet and tie the canoe and ama with twine furnished by the shipper. Hand over the Bill of Landing and the forklift drove off with your canoe. No need wrap, box and pad the canoe, somehow, it arrived intact and undamaged (amazing). Now a days, I hear the shipper no like tires, etc. So like maemae16 requests, what is best way for ship?

#1 Tue, 10/11/2011 - 4:46pm

Cheapest is on a mixed platform. It'll end up being about $55 or so (depending on who measures it). The main thing you want to protect is where it's going to be sitting. Like Koacanoe said, tires would work or just bubblewrap. The best and most secure method is in some foam saddles. Main thing you just want to be sure you can strap it down without having it move around. We always pad the ends, but it's more for peace of mind than anything. If a forklift clips the end of the canoe, it's gone whether there's bubblewrap or not.
If you reserve the platform ahead of time, then they'll charge you for the entire rack which is like $400 now. I don't know if they've changed their policy, but it seemed like in the past they would be upset if you didn't reserve the platform ahead of time, whereas now if you reserve ahead of time you get that huge extra cost for the entire thing. With the mixed platform there is no reservation, but they have the option of stacking other stuff next to your canoe. But I don't think they ever do....

The safest option is in a crate. But you have to find someone with a crate and pay for it to go both ways... maybe check with the different manufacturers on Maui and see if you can hop on their return trip? I think it ends up being about a $90 difference that you'd end up paying for the difference in price between an empty crate and a full crate.

Hopefully that all makes sense....

Goodluck.

#2 Thu, 10/13/2011 - 10:45am

thanks Luke. I will be shipping 7-10 1mans to Maui, so it looks like the safest bet is the crate, and 2nd safest is the platform. How many can we stack on top of each other if its a crate or a platform?

#3 Fri, 11/04/2011 - 2:02pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.158 seconds.