Shoulder worn out

My right shoulder has pain from paddling since Kaiwi Relay. It started before as a nagging pain. I have changed my stroke on top hand, no drive down. Doesnt bother much during paddle, but next day more pain. I meet with doc this week but would like to have good recommendations for physical therapy and shoulder doc. I wanna keep stroking.

Submitted by tthomas on Sun, 06/12/2011 - 8:51am

get an mri done; if they find torn or shredded tendons on the rotator cup; all the ice, therapy, lazer stuff, extra exercises in the world won't fix it. They might help the pain, but won't solve the problem. The only reason I suggest starting there is that the longer the delay the more 'retracted' the tendons get, and the harder the surgery is to fix and the longer the down time.
Unfortunately, a lesson learned the hard way.
Good luck!

#1 Sun, 06/12/2011 - 3:05pm

Thanks oldguy.

#2 Sun, 06/12/2011 - 6:15pm

My left shoulder was bugging out on me for a while, injured on my oc1. Fortunately, I have a good chiropractor that also does massage and active release technique who has helped me with numerous injuries. I had some nasty knots up under the shoulder blade and it hurt like hell to work them out--totally worth it. If it's torn, probably not much help, though. Good luck.

#3 Sun, 06/12/2011 - 7:49pm

Dr. Daryl Kan at Queens. Great shoulder doc, great surfer and works with UH football program.

#4 Mon, 06/13/2011 - 1:22pm

I had some knots in my back worked out with PT. More stretching etc, helped dramatically. This shoulder pain seems to get worse as I paddle. I have stopped paddiing until I see the doc. I will check out Dr. Kan. Thanks again for the advice.

#5 Mon, 06/13/2011 - 4:46pm

Great shoulder doc at Straub, Ed Weldon. I had a bad shoulder for over 5 years, did the channel anyway one year and when I couldnt lift my arm overhead after the race, I figured it was time to get it fixed. He is conservative, wants you to work physical therapy first (he has his own group of therapists at Straub that only work for him and only work on shoulders and elbows) then gives you options. He agreed to do surgery on my shoulder, went in, found 3 out of 4 tendons torn and reattached my bicep. That was in February. I was good to race in September. If you go with him, his therapists work only his patients and are pretty amazing. If you go with Kan, go see Bart at Fysiotherepie. Bart and his gang are awesome.

#6 Thu, 06/23/2011 - 11:09am

Does anyone know anything about double bend and shoulder issues?

#7 Mon, 06/27/2011 - 1:13pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.133 seconds.