side affects of not rinsing out my hurricane After paddling?

so i just got my own oc-1 hurricane, A bit of a beater but its water tight and floats so its good enough for me. ANYWAYS! i usually tend to paddle out of lanikai or areas where theirs no hose readily available. to add to it, i store my boat at A storage place over here that also doesnt have a hose since where i live theirs no room to store my boat and i dont feel safe having it in kalihi anyways....

so bottom line is, i've paddled it a few times, And put it back without rinsing off the salt water. what are the side effects of doing this? will the salt water corrode my cables / seat / etc?

ive been paddling for a few years now and i realize that i SHOULD rinse my hurricane when im pau, its just usually not a luxury i have access to very easily most times.....

Submitted by mrhunt on Thu, 12/29/2011 - 8:51pm

If you transport it on your car perhaps the saltwater runoff can do damage to your paint job on the car leading to rust? Perhaps you can carry along a 5 gallon container of water to rinse off the canoe?

#1 Thu, 12/29/2011 - 8:56pm

i didnt even consider that, thanks colin.

btw, what kinda boat you running now days bro?
-palmer.

#2 Thu, 12/29/2011 - 8:58pm

Try go buy one can Endust and get a couple of old t-shirts for clean the canoe and all metal parts once or twice a month. Put some long lasting polish on it and coat the cables with Century synthetic bicycle oil. Tough to remove salt water water spots will take over the hull and deck. And the best stuff for removing them w/o scratching or damage to the finish is A-1 Waterspot Stain Remover, which Longs use to carry, but getting harder to find, since everybody using the stuff with diamonds.

#3 Thu, 12/29/2011 - 10:08pm

Get one of those solar camping shower bags. They hold about 5 gallons and have a hose and nozzle on the end. Would be easy to store in your trunk or whatever.

#4 Fri, 12/30/2011 - 3:33am

I'm lucky to have a hose where I store my canoe, but for the rest of my gear I bring large liquid laudry detergent bottles filled with water in my car. They're free and easy to handle too. Some people use kitty litter buckets, but I don't have a cat.

#5 Fri, 12/30/2011 - 7:42am

I try not to leave salt water on my canoe or truck too long. I personally have never had a problem but. a guy that paddled with our club did and said it pealed the paint on his truck and somehow we were at fault. funny hey. I told him it could have to do with the quality of the paint on his truck. I have even heard of bird poo pealing paint. I know that some paints can get finicky and have to be dried at a certain temperature etc. and effect the quality of the paint job. and rusty metal parts show age. but in any case protect your investment and keep it clean.
Happy new year.

#6 Fri, 12/30/2011 - 12:30pm

I have a similar problem and I use a 5 gallon gas can. Works pretty well. Only issue I have with it is that after a long paddle, lifting a 5 gallon can, full of water is a bit unweildy. If I had it to do over again maybe I'd buy 2x2 gallon cans or something like that. Bit more expensive, but less weight to swoosh around as you rinse your kanu down.

#7 Wed, 01/04/2012 - 1:42pm

Do you know what would be cool is a 10 gallon water bottle tied to your roof rack and hooked up to a shower head with a hose. So you can shower then wash the canoe and the gravity pushes the water out. no lifting just fill it up in the drive way before you go, on the roof. Then take it of empty when you get back.

#8 Wed, 01/04/2012 - 3:28pm

Google sun shower and you find what you need.

#9 Wed, 01/04/2012 - 4:30pm

Google sun shower with blonde and you get more than you need...

#10 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 10:27pm

Hey Palmer. Im paddling an xm.

#11 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 12:10am

Rinse out your cables too, got 50 feet off the shore once in a canoe that hadn't been washed properly and my right steering popped. Heard of guys who did that in the middle of a downwind run.... If you can't paddle steer too well keep your canoe clean. Salt water eats everything.

#12 Mon, 01/16/2012 - 5:12pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.177 seconds.