Suggestions for a new OC2 owner! Please help a newbie out :)

Suggestions for a new OC2 owner! Please help a newbie out :)

I just got an oc2, but honestly dont know much about the logistics of owning a canoe. Im hoping for some advice on:
1. where to take the canoe out and how to enter the water in the suggested locations
2. differences btwn this and an oc6...ive paddled before, but never in a smaller boat. what should I know about how the boat moves in comparison? steering? how it moves in the water?
3. suggestions on racks...are generics ok? should I tie down the front and back?
4. how to clean the canoe afterwards? should I get a cover?
5. how to get old stickers off without damaging the canoe?
Any other general suggestions for me? Anything is greatly appreciated! Im so excited to take it out, but also anxious about not knowing what Im doing and damaging it :/

Mahaloz!

Submitted by kolohe34 on Wed, 06/15/2011 - 1:11am

1. i would start off by going some where there is sand on the beach. sand island might be a good start as you can stay in between the islands. since you have a oc2 you shouldnt have a problem carrying it since your partner will be there.
  2. the difference would be the tippy-ness you would have to get used to. steering is on the pedals, step left go left step right go right. moving in the water youll figure that out yourself.
  3. you can get a set of racks from lowes for about 350. t-rac models. generics are fine as long as they are tightly secured to the bed of your truck. you should always tie down the front and the back at all times. you may also put a flag on the end of your boat for added security.
  4. rinsing the boat with water is good enough. make sure you rinse where the cables are you should be able to see a rubber tube that covers the cables let the water flow through one end until it flows out the other.
  5. goof off, wd40, should remove the stickers.
    when loading the canoe on to the rack always make sure you have your hand on the boat, dont go walking away especially if its windy, itll just fall right off. you can get a set of bungee cords and do a quick rig on one end while you are strapping the other end.
    get a body board leash, itll prevent it from drifting to far in case you huli.if you huli swim under the boat reach over and grab the iakos and gently bring the ama over. please dont just swim on your ama side and throw the ama over like it was the canoes fault that you hulied.
    you can also read this article that Luke has put together with a bunch of information.
    http://www.ocpaddler.com/oc1intro

#1 Wed, 06/15/2011 - 1:48am

http://www.ocpaddler.com/oc1intro

The above article should cover the same basics for an OC-2 newbie as well.

1. Would help to know where you are located to see if others nearby would be able to help. Also, what OC2 model you have.
  2. Biggest difference is you have a rudder to steer with your feet which makes it somewhat easier than an OC6. Just need to watch out for shallow areas and reef heads.
  3. Knowing what type of vehicle you have will also help to tell you what you would need or don't. See the above article.
  4. Fresh water rinse is all that's needed to remove the saltwater or if you paddle in some dirty/oily water, you might need to use some soap in a bucket and a rag. As for a cover, depends on where you storing it. If outside in the sun, then yes. If under the shade (in garage, under eaves of your house) then not needed unless you want to keep dirt/dust off it.
  5. Buy some Goo Off or other sticker/adhesive remover to safely remove stickers.

Edit: Looks like shurl0ck beat me to linking the article. :)

#2 Wed, 06/15/2011 - 2:15am

Just make sure your switch overs are timed properly. A poor switch over can result in a Huli pretty easily. Learned that the hard way

#3 Wed, 06/15/2011 - 5:06am

Thanks for all the comments. To answer E7M, I live in Honolulu and have a stingray. Truck is an Ford F150.
Thanks again for the aloha!

#4 Thu, 06/16/2011 - 11:54am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.296 seconds.