Tape to prevent scuffs

Can somebody tell me what that industrial tape is that I’ve seen some people put on their OC1s to avoid damaging it with their paddle? Our club just got a new OC6 and I was considering putting some on the bottom of the ama to avoid scrapes. Unless someone has a better suggestion. Thanks!

Submitted by aukaiNYC on Wed, 05/11/2011 - 4:35am

Aukai NYC,

the black tape is a plumbing product - pipe wrap - while it's cheap, easy to apply and slightly rubberized and pretty much every Hurricane owner in the Pacific Nothwest uses it , IMO it's visually unappealing and makes a brand new canoe look like it already has a boo boo... Available at Lowes etc.

Harder to find in Canada as our plumbing specs are different.

With the huge surge in SUP, I tried the Surfco/Surftech textured rail tape on my OC-1 last season. it worked ok, but became yellow and cracked at the edges. the thicker material was harder to apply over complex curves.

Recently I came upon a superior solution. 3M PPF or Paint Protection Film. a crystal clear urethane film that is used to mask the front of vehciles to prevent stone chips ( aka "Clear Bra) brah?

It's crystal clear, virtually invisibile, UV resistant and stands up to "the Ford water test" - what ever that is... Avaiable at auto supply stores ( we had to order it in) and comes in a variety of widths.

Applied this material to the footwell edges at the waterline and parts of the ama... used a wet application per the instructios, and a hair dryer and a credit card to chase the bubbles.. went on like butter. gonna try it on my SUP next.

more info here
http://www.ppffilm.com/technical.html

good luck!

Open Ocean Outriggers
"the ocean experience"
Vancouver, BC
www.outrigger.ca

#1 Wed, 05/11/2011 - 5:54am

You could always just stop beating the boat w/ your paddle : )

#2 Wed, 05/11/2011 - 6:34am

Yeah, I'm sure he's trying to damage his canoe on purpose. All the braddah was trying to do was get some help with a problem he was facing. Although the obvious wise crack can be humorous, it prevents people from seeking help with issues concerning the sport.

I for one have seen this product on a friend's Pegasus. He had a small section on the inside section of his ama covered. It made me think of those micro-film screen savers they make for cell phones and such. I don't know how much weight it added, and it couldn't have been but a few ounces, but I thought it was genius. If you didn't look closely at the boat, it was all but invisible.

Kaneohe

#3 Wed, 05/11/2011 - 2:09pm

I've used the paint protection film on my new XM & it's brilliant - practically invisible, tough & does a fantastic job (not a single mark on the hull since I installed it). Will be using it on every canoe from now on. Accidental contact between blade & hull is unavoidable. Protect your investment & use it, you won't be sorry (apologies for sounding like a salesman but I think it's the best product to protect your canoe).

Cheers.

#4 Wed, 05/11/2011 - 4:22pm

lot of guys use the clear tint that's available at any tint shop.

#5 Wed, 05/11/2011 - 5:45pm

Thanks so much, Openocean and everyone! The clear 3M auto tape looks perfect and a lot more attractive than the plumbing version. Thanks for the recommendation!

#6 Thu, 05/12/2011 - 5:22am

@hasto:

Did you apply the PPF to the entire hull of your boat?

#7 Thu, 05/12/2011 - 6:28am

that sounds a bit excessive

#8 Thu, 05/12/2011 - 7:37am

I thought so too, that's why I asked.

#9 Thu, 05/12/2011 - 11:10am

Hi Kileki. Isotopez is correct- the entire hull would be excessive & unnecessary :).
I applied the film on both sides from the beginning of the cockpit where the pedals are to approx. 1/2 way along the section where the seat goes (or where my hip is when I'm in the seat). One continuous sheet cut to measure on each side. Barely noticable & works like a charm!

Cheers.

#10 Thu, 05/12/2011 - 11:54am

Great, but where the heck do you get it?

#11 Fri, 08/26/2011 - 3:18pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.153 seconds.