Travis Grant & Ha'upu @ the Gold Coast Cup

Trav asked me after the race did i capture this one, i thought i didn't, but obviously i did. You can watch it in Full Screen HD at Vimeo or just click the HD and full screen button. FULL RACE VIDEO BEING EDITED NOW.

Submitted by Rambo on Sun, 05/29/2011 - 2:32pm

Is that a 4 man canoe? Cool!!! Looks like nice conditions!

#1 Sun, 05/29/2011 - 8:33pm

No, it's a six man Kamanu Composites canoe designed by Keizo and made by Pete Corbishley for Trav Grant and Kamanu Aust. The race was the Gold Coast Cup 2011 last weekend 42k changeover race.

#2 Sun, 05/29/2011 - 9:15pm

That's kinda a short race. If that race was in Hawaii it would be open 4 iron. That just my guess.
Just messin.

I got to meet Travis while he was here in Hawaii. He is a pleasurable person to be around. In the video yuou could tell he was trying to hide his smile while talking about his boat. I don't blame him, that boat seemed to be surfing those short wave peaks really well.

Great video Rambo.

#3 Tue, 05/31/2011 - 11:59am

Healthyearth, thanks for watching the video. 42k has been the c/o race distance here for many years, as is Hamilton Cup. We did try Hamo at 56k one year but it added no value and ruined a already awesome course.

If you remember back to the early years of the Molokai Hoe, it was originally iron and then they changed it to a changeover race to enable more paddlers to participate. That is why we have a challenging but shorter distance here, to promote participation. Those of us that desire another level of challenge, travel to Hawaii or Tahiti for racing.

In my opinion, the biggest hurdle to building numbers for the likes of PaĆ” Eono, is the availability of paddlers able to do it and the cost. But what a fantastic race it is for those that take up the challenge and a spectacle for those that watch.and admire.

If you watch the full video, there is an interview with Trav at the end where he talks about the race and his new canoe.

Cheers R

#4 Tue, 05/31/2011 - 12:46pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.116 seconds.