unlimited 6-man

My new venture with IHE canoes, will bring one of the first unlimited surf canoes to the Hilo side. We will be completed in Nov./Dec. We will be looking to the future of this new division and hope to offer a different approach to design and performance. I will post pics as the project progresses. I thank those that came before us for inspiring us to scrape our pennies up to make this dream of ours a reality. A Hui Ho!!

Submitted by fluidpaddler on Sun, 09/25/2011 - 7:27am

right on! looking forward to seeing it on the beach. is one of the clubs ordering in or you just building it to test designs?

#1 Sun, 09/25/2011 - 8:07am

My friend approached me on the computer side of this project and I wanted to be a part of the experience and help a friend, that helped me out. It'll be the in-house canoe people can check out, if they like, there will be more built I'm sure of it.

#2 Sun, 09/25/2011 - 9:22am

right on!!! cant wait to see it finished! what types of material is it going to be made of? got pics?

#3 Sun, 09/25/2011 - 9:38am

Betta have FLUID PADDLES on it just as big !!!
Thai for good luck = " choke dee" > dee = good .... works here perfectly too !

aloha,
pog

#4 Mon, 09/26/2011 - 10:02am

Sounds like a great project. What CAD software you guys using? Big Island seems to be producing lots of progressive canoe designs.

#5 Sat, 10/01/2011 - 7:38pm

@gauchopaddler. Yeah this project has been a great experience thus far. I used Solidworks and a few others on the software. Yeah, we have some talented individuals over here. I think it is great brings more to the table for the sport.

#6 Sun, 10/02/2011 - 1:46pm

Are you using any hull design specific software (DelftShip)?. Sounds like there might be a naval architect or engineer helping out.

Did you test your design with CFD or FEA modeling? Or any scale-model tank testing? I'm curious to hear and hopefully see the ideas for a 6man design that surfs better.

Have you built a strongback yet?

Lots of questions I know...

#7 Sun, 10/02/2011 - 8:30pm

Eh Fluid,

Any pics or updates you can share ?

aloha,
pog

#8 Mon, 10/31/2011 - 10:32pm

i seen pics on fluid paddles facebook. canoe looks slick!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fluid-Paddles/110530138963594

#9 Tue, 11/01/2011 - 12:45pm

Eh Onno,

Why yes I do, we have the hull ready for glass. We had a delay with one of our suppliers for epoxy, but finally got everything squared away. so we will be glassing the hull next week.

Putting some final touches on the ama design and getting the plan of attack for the iakos. The iakos will be made of wood hopefully dialing them in with a weight of 7 pounds each keeping us well under our projected total weight. We figured our total weight rigged should be coming in a little over the 250 lb. mark.

The design Steve Blyth came up with for this canoe is outstanding. This boat should surf like a bat out of hell. We are still on track to be finished around the first of the year. We are getting good reviews so far from a few old timers that have come by to get a look see.

@gauchopaddler most of the info you have asked about is proprietary, plus if I told you, you probably wouldn't believe me...lol! Let's just say that having an experienced canoe designer, who has proven design skills and tons of canoes still racing around Hawaiian waters is a major major bonus and give us a huge advantage.

He approached the design aspects from the opposite direction, instead of making a flat water design surf, he made surf design with some flat water qualities, after all most of the races this boat will be used in are surf races, so it made sense to approach it that way. Designing a surfing canoe is a bit more complicated and was a challenge when I transferred it all to computer realm, there is a lot of things going there. I never knew how much has to be considered in that type of approach.

At any rate we are super stoked to be able to put a project for this type of canoe together, and if the guys at Kamanu hadn't baited the market for unlimited canoes it probably wouldn't have been something I would have invested in. We were actually redesigning a OC-1 on the computer at first and somehow ended up switching to designing this boat.

Here is a picture before we block sanded the hull, not the best picture but it's a forty-five foot boat in a small area so can't get that great of a shot, but lava put the link to my Facebook page with a few more shots on it.

#10 Tue, 11/01/2011 - 3:19pm

it looks nice. evolution is very good.

#11 Tue, 11/01/2011 - 5:29pm

Right on brahdah Ryan and HPAs finest, Steve Blyth! Keokea awaits her debut.

#12 Wed, 11/02/2011 - 9:10am

Right on Keep the photos coming and update date us on price to buy onne when you have it.

Also-Who bought Kamanu's last unlimited that was for sale?

#13 Wed, 11/02/2011 - 12:03pm

@ Kona J, will do.

#14 Wed, 11/02/2011 - 2:51pm

Fluid,
I gotta say that is a cool looking kanu and the paddles look beautiful too. I like the flat bottom, that should make for good surfing aspects indeed. I respect the secrecy about the design software what ever it was it looks like it worked. Building a kanu is fun but lots of hard work. I hope for you to have great success and fun building it and paddling it.

#15 Wed, 11/02/2011 - 5:02pm

It's great to have another canoe designer getting involved in the unlimited canoe sphere. It will add to the already interesting designs and help the class to continually grow.
I have seen the design come together and look forward to the final product. Steve Blyth is taking an interesting direction on the new unlimited canoe and it will be exciting to see it all come together. There will be a lot of interest in it leading up to the upcoming Olamau race in 2012. Maybe even a (@^!(!@& crew paddling in it....

Hope to see it soon!

#16 Tue, 11/08/2011 - 9:46am

i think it was mentioned earlier. but a huge amount of credit should go to builders like Keizo Gates (@Kamanu) who gave birth to two amazing canoes to get the unlimited movement going but will never brag about it. also some credit should go to Luke for pushing the powers that be to embrace this kind of racing. and lastly to Manny for providing the first ever race in Hawai'i for these boats. anyone who has paddled these canoes knows how much fun they can be. just the fact that Steve, Fluidpaddler, Kamanu, Pure Canoes, and others have an audience willing to buy these new works of art is amazing. i never thought it would happen in my paddling lifetime.

#17 Tue, 11/08/2011 - 12:54pm

@jc9_0, I concur.

Canoes of this nature, may have been in the mind's eye previously, but now they have a place to exist in reality.

I love it. Props to Keizo, Luke, Manny for doing what they have done.

#18 Wed, 11/09/2011 - 7:38am

Threads speaking to the ‘Unlimited’ design light-weight canoe, have been tossed around for many years here on this site.

The first ‘Unlimited’ design, then called the ‘Open’ class (no design restrictions but having to weigh at least 400 lbs), was built by Bill Rosehill, (Kona Athletic Club on the Big Island) in the late 1990’s. Having witnessed Bill race this canoe every year in the annual Liliu’okalani race since then, Livestrong had two built for their crews. Lanikai Canoe Club, noticing the Big Island was recognizing these ‘Open’ design canoes to be raced, brought their Tahitian canoe to the Kona race as well. All had to meet the 400 lb. weight requirement.

By 2006, Moku O Hawaii, the Big Island Canoe Racing Association, had renamed the ‘Open’ class to ‘Non-traditional’. About this time, Bill came out with two more fast designed canoes but this time around he made them light-weight racers; one weighing just under 200 lbs. and the other weighing just over 300 lbs.

In recognition of these two light-weight canoes, Moku O Hawaii in 2007, added another class of canoe to its race rules and the ‘Unlimited’ (no design nor weight restriction) was officially born. I believe it was this same year that I saw the Kamanu boys racing Bill’s 200 lb. canoe at Liliu’okalani which I’m sure must have helped give them inspiration to building theirs.

Following this, Manny has given further recognition to this ‘Unlimited’ racing design via his Pa’a E Ono race wherein Kamanu Composites entered their two ‘Unlimited’ dragsters.

From a conversation with Bill about a month ago, I learned he is about to begin, if not already started, the construction of more of his beautifully hand-crafted, custom, light-weight strip canoes he makes of wood. He told me he can custom build them to anyone’s specific design criteria. Imagine every crew or club having their own custom designed canoe to race rather than everyone having copies out of the same mold. Nothing is more beautiful than an outrigger canoe made of wood. This is an exciting development for our sport.

This is how I witnessed the evolution, or birth, of the ‘Unlimited’ design canoes that are gaining popularity today bringing so much fun and expanding the opportunities in the sport. Mahalo Bill, for your vision going back to the 90’s.

#19 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 1:17pm

Dont forget Livestrong had an unlimited canoe is the first paa race also. I believe they finished 2nd ro 3rd with an average age crew of just over 40??

#20 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 5:21pm

E.soleil,

I'll drink to that ... +++ I appreciate Bill not being afraid to speak his mind !!!
If I lived on the other side, I would be there helping.

aloha,
pog

#21 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 6:06pm

no offense meant to Bill. he was ahead of his time as well. also, when i spoke of Pure Canoes this was in reference to the boat built by Odie and raced by Livestrong in the first 'Eono. when i said credit goes to Manny for creating the first "unlimited" race i should have stated that he created the first race that openly encouraged paddlers to race a light and nearly unlimited hull shape and created specifications for this class. to my knowledge open canoes were allowed to race in other races. unfortunately these crews were always handicapped with a staggered start. i could be completely wrong on this, but this is what i've been told. in the years leading up to 'Eono paddlers wanting to race distance season with unlimited canoes were told it was the discretion of each race director. until 'Eono happened it would seem the prevailing thought was that these unlimited boats would ruin the sport and they weren't allowed to race. obviously that hasn't happened.

as long as we are giving credit where it's due... lets also thank Karel, Kai, Kamanu, John Martin, Steve, and any other boat builder who's fast and light one man canoes served as inspiration for this new breed of 6 man. if paddlers in Hawai'i had never experienced the thrill and ease of surfing wind swell in light and fast hulls, we probably would not have made the push to create new 6 man canoes.

EDIT: i would be remiss if i didn't mention the large influence Tahitian builders and paddlers have had on this recent generation of Hawaiian canoes as well. if the Tahitians hadn't gotten so fast we may not have had any reason to try and go faster.

to go even farther, we should all give thanks to the people that gave birth to paddling generations ago. without them i'd be bored out of my mind and weigh about 500 pounds from all the beer i drink.

#22 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 7:48pm

we should all give thanks to the people that gave birth to brewing generations ago. without them i'd be bored out of my mind and weigh about 50 pounds from all the paddling i do.

#23 Wed, 11/16/2011 - 7:31pm

Amen Hiro!!!!

#24 Thu, 11/17/2011 - 4:55pm

Apologies,,, to derail the thread for a sec ..

aloha,
pog

#25 Thu, 11/17/2011 - 5:29pm

Off the strong back and righted.

#26 Thu, 11/17/2011 - 5:45pm

nice picture!

#27 Thu, 11/17/2011 - 7:04pm

IHE Canoes and Fluid Paddles will be unveiling the new Wave Blade 6 shortly. It has been a lot of work to build this canoe, and we are nearing completion. Currently we are getting ready to spray it and will be installing the center decking. Custom Iakos and Ama are just around the corner.

On a personal note, I would like to thank Steve Blyth for the hard put into the construction of this canoe, we're almost there brother!

Posted are the most recent photos I have. We will be naming this canoe "Ho'omau" which is the Hawaiian word for "Perserverance". Anyone who has tried to build or even race a canoe can identify with this word. It has a special meaning for us. We will have small gathering to bless the canoe, and then it's off to the races.

#28 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 9:04am

Very nice. I like the flare in the bow. It reminds me of the Ka'apahu, although the Ho'omau has blended the transition. I bet Steve has introduced several other unique concepts as well. Very nice indeed.

Olamau is right around the corner. Looks like the boys are coming out to play!!

#29 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 1:34pm

Come on Fluid, Enuf the teaser overhead quarter shots ...... Lets see that rocker ! : )

aloha,
pog

http://www.westsideboatshop.com/html/Kayaks/MutiCondition/Dark_Starr.htm

#30 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 8:24pm

lol!!! if our shop was bigger I could do that onno. 45' canoe in a 25'x50'. When it hits the beach I'll snap a good one on that.

#31 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 10:19pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.232 seconds.