Waxing an OC6 hull

I know there was a previous topic on the matter, but I was unable to locate it. If someone can point me toward the right thread, I would appreciate it.

In any case, here's my question. What are people doing, if anything, to their hulls for race preparation? Is waxing a hull beneficial or just an aesthetic benefit? I've heard people mention water friction with relation to hulls, but I have minimal knowledge in the area. If anyone could elaborate, I'm all ears.

Mahalo,

-Kaneohe

Submitted by 808.2.619 paddler on Fri, 06/17/2011 - 10:43am

k

i did a bit of my own investigation and painted and polished some hulls with different paints based on information americas cup boat finishers and some web articles - undercoat, super polish, wetsanding, special paint. my results are that i think hull finishing compounds and surface characteristics only becomes important when you reach a speed limit, but i personally now would prefer hull shape/weight and paddler competency as more important on hull speed. try look into 'Laminar Flow' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminar_flow

some guy published a massive pdf on it, was kind of interesting too but technically minded, sorry cant find link.
Kingi

#1 Fri, 06/17/2011 - 11:12am

This is a topic that has mulled over years in the making. a microabraded surface might be better than a smooth one as it breaks the surface tension of the water and adheres more closely to a the hull. Think about "sharkskin" and golf ball dimples". The gains are minimal at best at such slow speeds. Buuuut it's that psychological effect (of knowing that your canoe is faster...even if by micromeasurements) that has the most effect on the paddler. Whether it's a positive or negative one is up to the paddlers.

Although I should let you know I wax the hull of our canoe...just to psych out the competition. Never wax it when no one's looking. What's the point! Besides it makes it look "shinier"!!! so there's potential to blind the competition as well!

"Plant a seed of doubt in your oponent....and it'll bear much fruit!"

#2 Fri, 06/17/2011 - 6:04pm

Here's the link to an oft-quoted article on this subject written by Greg Barton, one of America's greatest (multi-discipline) paddlers ever.

http://www.epickayaks.com/news/news/to-wax-or-not-to-wax

#3 Sat, 06/18/2011 - 2:48pm

Thanks Goto!. I knew I read that article before, but couldn't seem to find it.

-Kaneohe

#4 Sat, 06/18/2011 - 3:13pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.129 seconds.