What do people use for a foot rest/ kick plate on a V1?

Just wondering what kind of homemade foot rests people have made for V1s that didn't come with one. Foam blocks? Layup a sandwich panel?

Submitted by vance on Fri, 01/21/2011 - 9:26am

http://tuaruavaa.blogspot.com/2008/01/confection-dun-cale-pied-dans-un-v...

use google translate if you can't read french. Y'll see a pic of the foam block i made first, and pics of the making of a fibreglass one I made later to replace it.

#1 Fri, 01/21/2011 - 12:25pm

These could work and are resanable in price.

http://www.westerncanoekayak.com/product_spec.php?item_description_id=5283

#2 Fri, 01/21/2011 - 6:40pm

Don't all V1s have something already ???

#3 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 1:07am

Mulus,

If considering the above, check thse out ... Night and day better

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/products/boat-gear/kayak-footbraces-rudders...

rigid, will not break, not warped and EZ to mount stuff on top.

Hiro, Is 15 degrees about what everything is angled ?

aloha,
pog

#4 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 9:36am

@ onno : don't know. I experimented with foam until I found something that I found comfy...

#5 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 1:05pm

The new Aukahi has some nice lookin foot rests

#6 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 1:10pm

I see a lot of people down here in SoCal using foam blocks that are custom cut

#7 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 2:00pm

@ latman : There's no such thing as a "one size fits all", and since builders here are not making adjustable footplates they need to know the size of the paddler when building it. If they're building a V1 that's not been sold yet, they don't put any footplate in it. There are also in Tahiti paddlers that don't want a footplate and insist that it's not installed.

#8 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 4:54pm

i used a foot brace on my last canoe and swore it made a huge difference.

i haven't put a permanent one in on my latest boat and i actually like it without. that said the floor is peel ply texture so it's pretty grippy. that could be why i like it.

#9 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 5:52pm

Best would be an inflatable bag that would conform to the contour of the canoe (fore and aft) and you can push against it with the entire foot or parts of it? It would serve two purposes: keeping the boat dry and a kick board?

#10 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 6:13pm

I thought that v1 didn't have kickers as a rule? Something like: cockpit with no drains, no kickers, and no rudder?

#11 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 6:23pm

Rules have changed : kickers and foot-activated pumps are OK now.

#12 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 8:44pm

they should have um like the Olympic kayaks, with adjustable foot braces

#13 Sat, 01/22/2011 - 10:56pm

Actually, the best all time foot rest or kickboard I saw was an inflated plastic toy type beach ball stuffed just forward of the cockpit in a Tahitian made V-1 at the Kualoa race a year ago. Just plain simple, cheap and light.

#14 Sun, 01/23/2011 - 12:38am

but you can't install a foot-activated water pump on an inflatable bag/ball.

#15 Sun, 01/23/2011 - 10:57am

No need because the ball plugged up, at least the front part of the canoe. If you like pump, more better make like the old days, when paddlers raced sit inside kayaks during the Kanaka Ikaika races before they switched to surfskis: In those days, battery operated pumps were used, and with a flip of a toggle switch, the water would bail out the back real fast with a rooster tail. Ah! But that was over 30 years ago and is old tech?

#16 Sun, 01/23/2011 - 3:48pm

Maybe Hiro could help with this inquiry, I've been looking for a foot pump for my V1...
The only ones I've seen came from Tahiti and I haven't found the source.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I just use a foam block which isn't so good for removing water ; )

#17 Sun, 01/23/2011 - 4:33pm

@ koa : would really like a battery operated pump if they were legal for races here... but they're not. Foot operated pumps are legal.
@ dan : don't know where you can find one, sorry.

#18 Sun, 01/23/2011 - 11:21pm

I know of two types , Rapid Flow from NZ (http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au/KayakAccessories/RapidFlowFootBilgePump/ta...) and the Hubby from South Africa (http://www.knysnaracingkayaks.com/accessories/hubby-foot-pump.htm)

#19 Mon, 01/24/2011 - 1:10am

you can purchase the Rapid Flow pump latman mentions from this website:

http://www.pxtkayaks.com/products/Rapid-Flow-Pump-%252d-Long-Bellow.html

#20 Mon, 01/24/2011 - 4:20am

Spray skirts would work for water intake. But never seen them for sale for that purpose. for up here in canda its perfect for the cold your legs stay a bit wormer in the winter.

#21 Mon, 01/24/2011 - 5:46am

The Rapid flow pump is the one I bought here at Va'a Connection's shop. It's also the one that's installed on all the V1s I saw here.

#22 Mon, 01/24/2011 - 9:52am

Mahalo Latman, Anowara and Hiro
The Rapid Flow model was the one I saw installed in a
Tiger Teva I Tai last year. Didn't realize it was a Kiwi product.
Thanks for the link.
I'm traveling down in NZ for few months so I can hopefully
get one while I'm here.

#23 Mon, 01/24/2011 - 4:39pm

where are you located DanJ? the link anowara gave is for a guy in wisconsin. I got mine shipped to California a few weeks ago from him and have had it installed. It is lovely

#24 Tue, 01/25/2011 - 6:06am

Toa, did you use the port or snake the tube up and out of your cockpit?

#25 Tue, 01/25/2011 - 7:43am

I, "cough/ sniff" drilled a hole in my boat and used the port they supply. I did it at the front of the cockpit, but wish I had switched it. I'll get some pictures to show what i did and how it might be better.

Also I haven't changed the angle of my styrofoam foot block to keep the original angle for my feet, they are too vertical with the foot pump bulb where it is, a little uncomfortable

#26 Tue, 01/25/2011 - 1:17pm

re: foot rest/kick plate, I have an aukahi and I shove a life vest into the front of the canoe, and push off of that..pretty comfortable to the feet, but can shift around a bit during pieces/races

#27 Tue, 01/25/2011 - 6:19pm

Toa, I am from Vancouver but I'm in New Zealand
Travelling at the moment.
I was just given Peter Barlow's email at Rapidflow in NZ
so I thought I'd try get one while I'm down here.
If that doesn't work out I'll definitely get one from
The folks in Wisconsin. The Rapidflow I saw in Kona
mounted in a Tiger V1 was drilled thru the deck and
looked just fine, I think Eddie Nabarro did the work.

#28 Tue, 01/25/2011 - 9:31pm

A few "things" to be aware of with the NZ rapidflow pump, The "big bladder" can pump the most water out whilst pushing with both feet at once ,but if you use one foot only the "bladder" will compress on that side and the air/water will simply slide to the other side thus making it work less effectively ,2 of the small bladders will work better IMO (like the hubby has) but it is a dearer more complex system.

#29 Wed, 01/26/2011 - 1:00am

thats interesting with the one large bulb instead of the two smaller. I'll have to try, never paid attention before

#30 Wed, 01/26/2011 - 6:01am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.300 seconds.