Where To Get A Micro-sized/clip-on Metronome?

I'm looking gor a micro sized,clip on Metronome. I would pefer it to be waterproof....if one exists. I would like to be able to buy it on Oahu if possible. Thanks

Submitted by justthetip on Tue, 02/15/2011 - 12:04pm

finnis makes one, i think best buy has it or their website

#1 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 12:27pm

if you don't mind my asking... what are you using it for?

#2 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 1:04pm

I'm trying to find a way to pace my strokes. I'm a noob with bad technique & get sloppy when I feel bumps & notice my self stroking past my seat(oc1).

I went out with a friend who used a piano Metronome (about 7inches x 4 inches) in a ziploc freezer bag. That helped me "flow" better, also noticed better momentum.

#3 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 1:33pm

Interesting.

#4 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 6:03pm

VERY interesting.

It's not on O'ahu, but try amazon.com. They've got the waterproof Finnis Tempo Trainer for around $35.

#5 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 6:26pm

Thanks goto,Amazon,.$35.99 shipped to Oahu, mahalos!

#6 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 6:44pm

Swimmers supply outlets have Tempo Trainers which are small, waterproof and you can set the 'beep' at your desired rate. They are made to fit on swim goggle straps.I got 2 and used to synch up #1 and #2 in V6; OK for beginner crews, moderately nice for experienced, but elite crews did not like...better to put on OC2 to blend.

#7 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 9:44pm

Timex madea watch that would beep to any desigered pace . I think it was for runneres but would use it for pace setting. supposedly I was faster on one side.

#8 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 10:04pm

O boy.... we did this back in 1990's in an OC6 with a flashing light and sound. The light was pole mounted on the bow and everyone had to paddling in time. When the pole light hit the Minyama Island bridge and snapped off, no one asked for a new one to be installed, it just quietly forgotten....i did offer to sit on the stern and beat a drum ... i've long forgotten what the answer was....haha

I don't know what value they hold, i guess you just have to try things and see if it works and run it by a coach. What happens when you remove it and have to wing it again .....ummm

R

#9 Tue, 02/15/2011 - 10:39pm

I think that using them to keep time in a six-man is pretty much beginner type stuff. More useful would be in one man training - not to keep consistent, but to push yourself when you're shooting for hitting pieces at higher stroke rates.

#10 Wed, 02/16/2011 - 10:35am

A very usefull training tool is GPS. it will tell you when you are keeping a high average speed and you can try new technique, equitment, partners, water, ect. if you keep and higher average than the other guy at the end you will be further ahead than befor.

#11 Wed, 02/16/2011 - 11:25am

A metronome is a training tool, as a GPS is a training tool. Each can be used to help you become a better paddler if you use it correctly.
It's like choosing a knife to put in some screws - it'll do the job, but you won't be a better carpenter for it.

There's a bunch of fast paddlers using metronomes out there. I can guarantee you that none of them are using it to maintain a consistent rate in sloppy water, or to work on timing in the six-man.

#12 Wed, 02/16/2011 - 1:55pm

Yes there's probably some value using it on a Oc1 on flat water to instill a sense of timing into a guy with no natural rhythm. Actually Riggerroo's Coach Lisa Curry-Kenny always used to comment on who had natural rhythm and who didn't by watching paddlers on the dance floor. For an OC6 i suspect there would be limited value as we know timing and rhythm there is all about FEEL. Close your eyes and paddle.

I know when i have an ipod with me on an Oc1 and the tempo/beat changes in the music i find myself unconsciously falling in beat with it and can be quite motivational, but i think it does interfere with your cadence adjustments when chasing bumps and maneuvering.

#13 Wed, 02/16/2011 - 2:49pm

music interfering with the rhythm of the ocean. thats alot to think about. its mostly flat here.

#14 Wed, 02/16/2011 - 8:27pm

Just some clarification to metronomes
Our coach Guy Wilding (US Olympic Sprint Kayak Coach) met with some local paddlers in Hawaii about training particularly for what we do which is kayaking but could also be transferred over for outriggers. Metronomes are a great tool for training and technique, more and more people in Hawaii this season are starting to use them. So here is a little explanation for those who are confused or just interested.

We use the metronome to control our stroke rate (SR) and to stay in the
specific training zone directed by our coach for each different session
we are doing. You will improve so much faster if you can 'control' your
stroke rate and work on improving your efficiency (distance per stroke)
to increase your speed - not simply increasing your stroke rate. If you
spend the time to learn how to do this at lower stroke rates the goal is
then to gradually increase the stroke rate whilst maintaining the same
efficiency right up to racing stroke rates. It takes time BUT you will
eventually go faster with less effort. (*You can buy a cheap metronome
from any music store. Unless you purchase a more expensive water proof
"wetronome" you will need to put the metronome into a waterproof bag
and/or plastic wrap.)

#15 Thu, 02/17/2011 - 4:09pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I only used a Metronome in a ziploc freezer bag, & as a beginner, it helped me flow & I actually felt momentum for a decent period of time.

#16 Thu, 02/17/2011 - 5:41pm

Guess we'll be seeing some more cool rhythmic moves on the after race party dance floor in the future. ..tick tick tick ...boom tick tick tick ...boom

R

#17 Thu, 02/17/2011 - 7:47pm

Since my ergometer is not the sophisticated KayakPro SpeedStroke, I don't have a computer attached. As silly as it sounds, a metronome was a good tool for me while doing ergometer workouts (I'm in a cold climate). I have a bad habit of gradually increasing my stroke rate on the erg and the metronome helped me stay on a targeted stroke rate -- sort of helped create a "feel" for a particular stroke rate that I could take out on the water.

So, I did intervals at one rate, change the setting and more intervals at another rate -- or distance workouts, too. I fond this much easier than trying to figure out what is 80% of my max or what is 70% of my max. So, I set my metronome at say 65 or 70 or 80 SPM and got that feel for those stroke rates. Then I simply try to match that feel when out on the water. Now, I've developed the feel on the erg for different stroke rates and don't need the metronome so much anymore. Not scientific, but it helped this hack paddler.

Don't laugh too hard at me!! Hahaha

Here's the online metronome I used: http://www.webmetronome.com/

Cheers

#18 Wed, 02/23/2011 - 12:26pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.260 seconds.