Where were the Oz crews?

Where were the elite Aussie crews this year? With a weak US dollar, I'm surprised there weren't at least one or two?

Submitted by bigjed on Mon, 10/10/2011 - 8:55pm

I personally think there is only 1 elite Aus team and that is Outrigger Australia , they beat then killed off the northcliffe challenge here (the only other consitently good team ) a while ago , other teams are sometimes a threat to them and AOCRA (the local ruling body) has also previously put together a "national team " that is average.
Because they (Outrigger Aust) no longer do the amount of training required to be competitive in the Molokai Hoe they have not bothered to attend and instead look at events like hamilton Island and now the Cook island races. I would love to see them in Hawaii or Tahiti (consider that a challenge! ) This will piss off many people to read this but its how i see it . Lats

#1 Tue, 10/11/2011 - 1:48am

Outrigger Australia will be back to molokai next year. Unfortunately this year a couple of the crew had kids due in sept which took the steam out of our return trip this year. Plans are underway 4 next year. Can't wait

#2 Tue, 10/11/2011 - 2:49pm

You know Australia has got the strongest economy in the world today, and their currency trades at a premium compared to the U.S. dollar, so I can't belive the paddlers wives didn't twist arms to come to Hawaii and shop? Hey Lat's, maybe next year, an all star team of Australian surf ski and Olympic kayak paddlers, coached by Lisa Curry, could push Shell Vaa under 4.5 hours?

#3 Tue, 10/11/2011 - 5:09pm

I recon the top 8 placed Ironmen from Coolangatta Gold and a top steerer would be a good start. Just need time in the boat to blend and then could very well give Shell a fright. Pretty much what the Panamunna Crew was in the early '90s when they won.

Our Open division numbers Australia wide are the lowest they have ever been, so not much talent coming thru via numbers. Over 45's are now our largest divisions.

#4 Tue, 10/11/2011 - 6:09pm

'Our Open division numbers Australia wide are the lowest they have ever been, so not much talent coming thru via numbers.'

That's 'cause everyone's paddling skis.

#5 Tue, 10/11/2011 - 6:46pm

You can do all you want.You can't beat shell.Because ,they like a figth.

#6 Tue, 10/11/2011 - 7:47pm

to mickaus , I can't wait either

to koacanoe , unlikely and our Dollar is up/down like a yo yo to the greenback still

to Rambo , I think that team had GK, Dwayne and Trevor Hendy who were Ironmen of note , then MK , Clint Robbo who dabbled in Ironman but I don't think Harry Skibbe , Ramon or Jason Prior Did at all ( nor Dalziel who was in the crew too ?)

to terainuira1 , I hope it will be a good fight and If Outrigger Australia do enough work it will be .

#7 Tue, 10/11/2011 - 10:56pm

@TERAIUIRA1: Shell currently has a huge target on their backs. I hope that California, Hawaii, NZ and the Aussies (to name a few) will start preparing teams to give the Tahitians some heavier competition!

#8 Wed, 10/12/2011 - 5:37am

k

dude - ho cuz, how you gonna beat shell with kayak and swimming skills?!?!?!?

#9 Wed, 10/12/2011 - 11:44am

Unfortunately Outrigging in Australia is catered for the leisure over 40s market. Open paddlers want to be tested in rough conditions. Anytime the wind blows we race in a river. None of our ironman/oceanski talent are interested in paddling in circles on a flat course. I've personally chased up ironman talent over the years all have shown interest but none willing to commit. If Outrigging in australia was as popular as it is in Hawaii then I'm sure we would have numerous teams in the top 10. Beating shell well that's a whole other kettle of fish. Outriggings best nursery has been the surf clubs (ironman,ski,board paddlers) and the decades it was at it's healthiest 90s and early 00s we had a strong presence in world outirigging. Now surf club numbers are down and the talent pool is low hence the dwindling numbers of opens at any level in Outrigging. Mark Forbes to his credit has seen the decline in juniors and is doing a great job promoting the sport the at a grassroots level, maybe we need the same position created to specifically talent I D open talent also.

#10 Wed, 10/12/2011 - 1:07pm

gonna be hard in that 40+ section as livestrong tahiti are early 40's and all come from shell, paddling, pirae etc... and yes, it will be good to have some other countrys in there somewhere mixing it up.

#11 Wed, 10/12/2011 - 6:33pm

Too true Kingi all people talking that haven't raced in Tahiti and know that Shell is the top of a huge talent pool.

#12 Thu, 10/13/2011 - 4:16pm

Mate we here in Australia have to start doing the race consistently year after year before we even think about shell. They are the benchmark it's up the the rest to try and bridge the gap.

#13 Thu, 10/13/2011 - 7:44pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.333 seconds.