Who makes the nicest looking wooden paddles?

I got a new paddle today from a well regarded paddle maker and I'm kinda disappointed with the build quality and finish. Being a pretty good amateur wooden boat and furniture builder and having been with a company that sold a lot of wooden kayak paddles I do know what a really nice custom paddle should look like.

So, any suggestions on who's the best outrigger paddle craftsman today? Who really takes pride in build quality and appearance? Performance is also important, but I know that I'll never be a great paddler (started too late), so it's not that big a deal to me.

Submitted by Chris K on Tue, 10/18/2011 - 11:47am

Christobal Topa, Huahine Rames.

#1 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 12:50pm

I've got a beautiful wood double bend made by Odie of Pure Paddles.

Excellent craftsmanship

#2 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 5:15pm

tai paddles from conan in nz. also huahine hoe.

#3 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 5:15pm

Ive had a paddle built by Odie (dbl bend, polyuth wraped top) since mid 2009. Super thick shaft, but lite. Great craftmanship IMO.

#4 Wed, 10/19/2011 - 11:41am

Scorpionpaddles.com
Custom made, you have all options in blade shape, shaft style and material.
Beautiful craftmanship

#5 Wed, 10/19/2011 - 8:16pm

Andy Reich on Kauai builds functional paddles that could easily be described as fine art. Unfortunately he builds them as a labor of love, part-time. If you've seen any of his paddles or are fortunate enough to own one, you know what I mean.

#6 Thu, 10/20/2011 - 9:02am

Thanks for the suggestions. The Huahine Rames looks really nice. My only concern is if it will work well with the other paddles in our OC-6? But I'll ask around at our club.

Mahalo

#7 Sat, 10/22/2011 - 10:59am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.199 seconds.