2012 USSurfSki Championships Video

Submitted by Rambo on Thu, 08/23/2012 - 9:33pm

Anyone recognize the guy on the blue Allwave ski at 2:40...? Initials JF.

This well known Hawaiian paddler unselfishly gave up his ski to a fellow paddler mid race when his ski was damaged. What a nice gesture.

R

#1 Fri, 08/24/2012 - 1:13am

No takers huh... Well hats off to Jim Foti for being a good sport, traded skis and waited for a support boat to pick him up.

Cheers R

#2 Sat, 08/25/2012 - 1:39pm

Excellent coverage Ian. Thanks so much for sharing!

#3 Sat, 08/25/2012 - 4:05pm

No probs Jerry, thanks for watching. It's a lot of work putting these videos together but very rewarding being able to share an experience not everybody gets to see.

R

#4 Sat, 08/25/2012 - 9:23pm

A big mahalo to you Rambo for always posting your latest paddling video here to share with us. I really appreciate watching those paddlers all bundled up in the middle of Summer. Just like Australia, this time of year, eh? The way he was dressed, Jim Foti must of been freezing his okole off in those winter Kalama Beach type waves? With his commendable gesture, it goes to show, that even when away from the islands, you no can take the islands away from him. What a true sportsman!

#5 Sat, 08/25/2012 - 8:44pm

Thanks Rambo, I always enjoy. I'm waiting for the day when you set out to get some serious footage here. If you need a place to stay and want to save your hard earned AUD then you can stay at my place for no charge. I live in Waikiki.

Jim did the right thing in the situation he was put in. Seabiscuit has always, in my view. shown a great understanding of pono. People like Seabiscuit have characteristics that I really value. I don't know the entire story of how the canoe was exchanged but I believe the person in need did not ask for his canoe. From my understanding Jim saw a person who travelled from far away to do this race and was about to not be able to do the race due to another boat hitting his surf ski. The person did not ask Jim for his ski, but Jim understood the situation this traveller was in and then offered his ski.

Now a lot of things could have gone wrong in this switch in the cold water. Thankfully everything worked out and this story gets told with a happy ending.

Obviously I beat Jim in that race cause I kept paddling. It was too cold to stop and if I had stopped I doubt I could stayed upright on my ski. I BEAT SEABISCUIT!! And that's really what this story should be about. So if you see a bumper sticker on Foti's car saying HE>i, know this - HE stands for HealtyEarth. Jus messn

#6 Tue, 08/28/2012 - 10:20pm

You're not waiting in vain HE, I foresee a race/event/staged shoot in my future of epic proportions. Required, is locate a fellow crazy man with a Jetski of 3 seats ... willing to mount a short pole at the back of the seat ... then venture one of the Channels, you will then get your "serious footage" and experience the up close the facial expressions of paddlers in ecstasy :-)

You are of course, correct on the details re the Seabiscuit exchange..

Thanks for the offer of digs @Waikiki.

R

#7 Wed, 08/29/2012 - 12:35pm

I am embarassed to admit that I thought it was a rhetorical question...

#8 Fri, 08/31/2012 - 8:53am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.189 seconds.