assistance with adapative paddling

J

Hi all
A fellow paddler has a friend who has had a spinal cord injury and is looking at how best to set up seating to allow the friend to try paddling. I've using Google and although there are plenty of website for club and agencies that have supported adaptive paddling I haven't been able to find anywhere that has details such as seating design for different disabilities.

If someone out there has some information that can be shared I'm sure it would be really appreciated.

Thanks all

J.

Submitted by J on Tue, 11/13/2012 - 3:24pm

Hi J,
I build a nice seat that has been used for adaptive paddling for quite some time now ... Can go here to check it out: http://www.onnopaddles.com/components.html It is shown as std. two piece but I can set it up so its fully 'rigid' and supportive as well. Several mounting options and I am dedicated to helping get butts in boats !
aloha,
pog

#1 Tue, 11/13/2012 - 7:30pm

We have an adaptive program in my club here on Maui. I've seen two different seats that seem to work pretty well. One is actually just an old plastic school chair with the legs missing. The other someone had a welder make and it is basically the same idea, a seat with a rigid back. They both get strapped into the canoe with quick straps. A few of the paddlers prefer to have a seatbelt of sorts to hold them in the seat depending on their disability. Seems to work and no problems during a huli either.

#2 Tue, 11/13/2012 - 9:32pm

J

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback, I'll pass it on. It'll be a nice Christmas present for someone if we can get him on the water.

Cheers

James

#3 Sat, 11/17/2012 - 10:58pm

This year at World Sprints, while checking out some of the seat designs in hopes of starting an adaptive program here in Victoria, I came across these custom made seats... They seem to be fully adjustable, to hip and spine placement of the paddler.

http://creatingability.com

Give them a call and I am sure they can help figure something out to fit your needs.

In Calgary, the chairs where being used on Teva Nui canoes... where there where some speed straps used. I think if you where to dedicate a v-1 to the seat then perhaps you would modify the mounting system to pad where it attaches to the vaa.

#4 Mon, 11/19/2012 - 7:54am

J

Thanks NashiPaddler

#5 Tue, 11/20/2012 - 11:54am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.193 seconds.