Breathing drills

anyone got a good breathing drill to share '

Submitted by outriggerbev on Sat, 12/22/2012 - 12:08pm

I bought a divers breathing trainer. Helps with lung expansion/capacity. Any dive shop for about $30 or probably pretty easy to make one.

#1 Sat, 12/22/2012 - 12:13pm

dont use those things.. they dont do as designed. They don't expand or increase capacity at all. They build up the muscles surrounding the diaphram and actually cut down on the flexibility of it leading to strong muscles in the area and decreased flexibility

Saw a study done with a freedive team from europe who was sponsored by them and their apnea times actually dropped a substantial margin.

No idea in what regards you want breathing info.. but for relaxation always inhale 1/2 as long as exhale, so inhale 5 seconds out for 10 seconds. All from the belly.

Always try to breathe diaphramatically, even during strenuous workout. 85% of the gas exchange happens in the lowest part of the lungs so that's the best way to oxygenate the fastest.

#2 Sat, 12/22/2012 - 3:56pm

Swim. Breath every third stroke (so, alternate sides). Inhale, then exhale almost completely in the water. If this is too tough, start with breathing on one side every stroke and work you way to every third.

#3 Sun, 12/23/2012 - 10:26am

Learn to play the didgeridoo until you can play a continuous note forever. Makes your breathing very precise while it tunes your respiratory system and sharpens your mind. If you add singing while breathing, your head will vibrate harmonically with the sound. That vibration has done wonders to clear out my sinuses.
Merry Christmas

#4 Mon, 12/24/2012 - 8:52am

Maybe not the correct "end" but I'm confident the exercises are cross-platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Methane

#5 Tue, 12/25/2012 - 1:52pm

This post really opened my eyes to a huge part of racing that was totally overlooked on my part. I've been practicing this breathing in my different training sessions and I can definitely tell a difference in how much more efficient diaphragmatic breathing is. Hopefully none of the guys near me read this post and researched diaphragmatic breathing.

Not that I've been training or anything.

Does anyone know where to find any test trials between diaphragmatic breathing and chest breathing?

#6 Wed, 12/26/2012 - 7:48pm

I am absolutely the best breather in my club. Unfortunately there are no time trails for breathing.

#7 Thu, 12/27/2012 - 7:00am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.176 seconds.