Calgary 2012

It's right around the corner! Who here on OCP is planning to make the trip north?

Submitted by Kileki on Mon, 07/23/2012 - 4:28am

I will be there for spectating. Likely driving from LA to Vancouver to Calgary. Any suggestions for points of interest along the way?

#1 Mon, 07/23/2012 - 9:28am

I heard alot of crews were going to the (Gisons Iron, Aug 18 ) befor the World sprints. its a world class race.

#2 Mon, 07/23/2012 - 10:02am

If you have the extra time, the trip up the Oregon coast is pretty awesome.

The drive between Vancouver and Calgary will be epic. There are some enormous lakes up there and you'll be driving through the heart of Glacier National Park. Take your camera.

#3 Mon, 07/23/2012 - 10:06am

Bring your tuques and neoprene!

Also... Gibson race (Howe Sound) is after the worlds Mulus not before. Great small town Canadian fun!

#4 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 3:47am

oop's sorry
Here in Vancouver there's a couple of spots

-Grouse Mountain sky lift:
Try some mountain climbing on a trail called the grind.
also on the road up there the Cleveland Dam and the Suspension Bridge
-Stanly park / zoo aquariam beutifull walks
-P.N.E. Pacific national exhibition / rides roller coaster etc.
-breakfast and shopping at Granville Island
-shopping on Robson street
-clubbing on Granville in the evening

#5 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 4:43am

As you drive up, do a downwind in the Bay Area. Let me know if you need hookup on OC-1. I have Pueo you can borrow. I think you know how to paddle that canoe. ;)

San Leandro, CA

#6 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 5:08am

If you guys are heading down to Calgary for sprints.. see if you can make time to head over to Banff National Park or make a short trip to Kananaski for some great day or multi-day hike, rock climbing, mountain biking and some amazing white water paddling. All of which is just a few hours drive from the race site and well worth the time.

http://www.albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca.aspx

If you have the time to head over to race in Gibsons, take the time to enjoy the drive from Calgary thru Vancouver and into Gibson (you need to take a short ferry). There are some pretty amazing places to hit along the way depending upon how you go... check out Fernie and down through the Oakanagan Valley for some great fresh fruit or go through Revelstoke to take in some of the lower Rocky Mountains.

Check out the CORA website for some info on Gibson and Worlds
http://www.canadianoutrigger.com/

While over in Gibson make the hike up to Skookumchuck Rapids... a mega huge tidal exchange.. great for all types of paddling depending upon the size of tides... at the mid to upper ends you definatly want to be in a white water boat - but still great to see

http://www.bigpacific.com/whattodo/parks/skookumchuck.html

If you have a chance, Squamish is only an hour out of Vancouver and will pretty much satisfy all your outdoor needs - from world class climbing, kite surfing, hiking, some pretty knarly downhill mountain biking.

http://www.tourismsquamish.com/

If you have a bit more time after Gibsons, head over to the Vancouver Island and we will sort you guys out for some boats or get you a taste of some Northern Cold Water Ohana and get you surfing in Tofino.

And while, we might not have poke on every street corner.. there are alot of really great micro brewerys to check.

If you need any help getting some extra activities planned... just post a note on the CORA website and there is a huge network on this side of the boarder that would love to help you out..

Canadain Ohana EH!!

See you on the water.

Corey

corey@gorowandpaddle.org

#7 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 7:58am

If anyone is spending time in Vancouver we (Vancouver Ocean Sports) welcome guest paddlers, email me at vosoutrigger@gmail.com to hook up. We also host the Big Chop race series on alternating Thursday evenings, good racing with BBQ and prizes www.bigchop.ca.

Cheers

#8 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 11:53am

Luke, if you're driving up I5, consider a short detour east of Portland into the Columbia river Gorge (OR/WA border) . Excellent craft brewieries and wineries in the area as well as some sick downwind ( but up river. ??) paddling - The Gorge is the home of the now semi famous "Drano Run REDUX" ( check YouTube)

Put in at Viento on the OR side and paddle east towards the town of Hood River, OR - ( home of DAKINE ) next to FULL SAIL BREWERY , an employee run company ( did I mention they offer tours AND free samples on the deck above the river?)

Toll bridges connect the two states across the river at several points, and returning to I5 Via the WA side of the river affords you a commanding view of the dam and locks system near the town of Stevenson, WA..

have a safe journey and enjoy the road to Calgary,

Open Ocean Outriggers
"the ocean experience"
Vancouver, BC
www.outrigger.ca

#9 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 1:31pm

Cashless Tolls?
What gives with these tolls? Can I get out once I drive in by mistake?
Should I get the cashless toll option for my rental car?

#10 Wed, 07/25/2012 - 1:44pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.180 seconds.