Diabetic paddlers?

I've been diabetic sense I was 17 and am relatively new to long distance paddling. I was just wondering if there is any other diabetic paddlers out there?

Submitted by probinson on Sat, 08/04/2012 - 11:36am

Hey Hey!
Type 1 here. Been paddling for 13yrs and still every year I have to tweak what I do with insulin to keep BG within a range that I can maintain a decent paddle performance.
There are at least 3 of us in the Cdn OC community, know a few others that do DB.

#1 Sat, 08/04/2012 - 12:40pm

Type 1 as well, good to know I'm not the only one. Not to pry but what do you use for nutrition on longer runs? Non diabetics jump in. I'm stroking for lilio and pailolo and possibly Molokai so the more info the better!

#2 Sat, 08/04/2012 - 3:48pm

I met a guy at the surfski Molo race Richard Germain who has done big races for years while managing his diabetes. He's from Quebec and you could probably track him down through the surfski sites like surfskiracing.com or surfski.info

#3 Mon, 08/06/2012 - 8:00am

Hi All,
i have been diabetic Type 1 since 1996, have completed numerous long distance canoe races (Molokai OC6 & OC1 relays winning 3x, Queen Lili'o Kona, numerous National Championships & Hamilton Island Cups) and have learnt along the way as there is not a lot out there on how to manage nutrition & insulin leading into & during & after such big events. Also how to manage tapers & pre race highs. Training can be very different to race day and i have learnt some helpful tricks along the way.
You could try http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/ for more help
Or i'm happy to answer any questions that would help my fellow T1's reach their goals.

#4 Tue, 08/07/2012 - 4:20pm

Great website thanks for the heads up. I've been very active in the triathlon world and am used to managing levels during long events, but being on the water and dealing with the standard diabetic run around has proved harder to get used to.
During long races what has been your best meathods for staying in a range where you can be effective? Do you check blood or give insulin during, or start at a level where by the end of the race your sugar will be good?
Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate any and all tips.

#5 Tue, 08/07/2012 - 8:46pm

I've been helping a bunch of people with their diabetes by getting their eating habits right, and pumping their bodies with the best nutrition by being on the Challenge. Hit me up and let's test it out with paddling. 808-479-8231. Aloha! www.ViALOHA.com

#6 Mon, 08/13/2012 - 6:20am

Sorry for the delay in responding, Been busy with World Sprints and recovering from car accident.

As far as managing bg during long races I use a combo of watered down hammer perpetum and gatorade for my drink and then gels if I feel I'm going low. When paddling I always have a reduced temp basal. Race day not as much as training as the adrenalin of racing keeps me up. Change races are my favourite as I can test and dose as needed every change. But I don't stop during iron races to check, I just trust my instincts and experience. I do a lot of testing during training plus with many races under my belt I keep adjusting things until I found the "magic" formula of pre race food, dosing, basals and during race nutrition.

I'm excited for when the Animas Vibe comes to Canada so that I can see a CGM of what's really going on when I paddle!

I've been focusing more on sprint training for the last couple years and that threw a wrench into the system I had. The higher intensity workouts actually raise my sugars but the low intensity rest between pieces lowers it so this season if workouts were less than an hour, I didn't need basal adjustments. Just 1/2 fruit bar prior to hitting water if I was between 5 and 8 mmol/L or nothing if I was higher and I'd come off near a beautiful 6.0mml/L.

Testing and experimenting with different methods until you find something that works consistently is all the advice I can give. Just know that on race day be prepared for it all to go out the window and have to fly by the seat of your pants!

#7 Sat, 09/01/2012 - 3:54pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.202 seconds.