Elbow Issues

Hey,

I'm out on the east coast, fairly new to OC-1 and looking for some advice on paddling technique. I have been doing 12 kM and 24 kM practice sessions every 2-3 days and have been finding that my elbow joints ache the day after. Any thoughts on whether the issue may be a result of paddle length, paddle grip, just a case of Old Man’s Disease (I’m 52 yrs.) or might my body just get used to paddling more?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,

Bruce

Submitted by BruceK on Thu, 09/13/2012 - 3:49am

Hey Bruce, I'm on the east coast also AND am fighting "old man's disease" at 52 yo. I've been paddling about 12 yrs or so and have multiple complaints over the years (more now than ever) but have never really had problems with my elbows. I might venture to suggest that you may be paddling more with your arms than with your back and core. I've been told from the beginning to try to keep relatively straight arms throughout the stroke and reaching more with my core twist and shoulder extension. Then the "pull" should more or less be a recoil of what you just extended out. MY main complaint is my low back. It's my "achilles heel" so to speak. Good luck and others may have better suggestions than mine. Maybe we can open this up to an Old Man's Gripe thread : )

#1 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 4:55am

I'm not a veteran paddler by any means but can relate to the age....being an 'ol lady at 57. When I started paddling, especially OC1, I too felt tender elbows at times. But as drewp said, as I started to use the large muscles in my core more and became less of an 'arm paddler' the elbow soreness went away.

#2 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 7:17am

Thanks, I am trying to focus on core rotation but I may not have a straight foreward arm, which might cause the issue. I'll try to work on that and see what happens.

#3 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 7:51am

A bent elbow anywhere within the power phase of the stroke will put unnecessary load on the joints, especially the elbow. This does indeed lead to 'arm paddling'. The previous posters have nailed it. You need to keep your arms solid (straight) during the initial power phase to engage the larger back & core muscles. Change your technique & you'll be fine.

#4 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 11:45am

Bruce, you probably have tennis elbow. Google "tennis elbow super 7". These exercises worked great for me.

I agree with all the comments on technique, but while working on that, try the exercises. Good luck!

#5 Fri, 09/14/2012 - 3:57pm

Bruce:
Had golfers elbow as a result of paddling--different tendons than tennis elbow, but sort of the same issue. Went to a sports medical facility in Los Angeles that treats professional/olympic athletes. He asked whether I wanted a quick fix or longer term plan. I had already been in pain for 6 months so went for the quick fix. Hydrocortisone/lidacaine shot in the elbow to reduce inflammation. Then used a neoprene band (you can get at sporting goods stores)--it goes just a little below the elbow to hold the tendons tight. Also prescribed some dumbell/arm exercises to strengthen the forearms--essentially, the arms/joints/tendons go through tremendous stress when you are using your large back muscles...the arms/hands are the conduit for all this pulling. Took awhile to fully recover but been good for a couple years now. Definitely have a professional assess your situation--can make a big difference.

#6 Fri, 09/14/2012 - 5:30pm

If any of you are using an all graphite paddle including the shaft, try a
paddle with a wood shaft. The lack of flex in a carbon shat puts all the pressure on your elbow.
That's what worked for me.

#7 Sat, 09/15/2012 - 7:50am

Thanks folks ...

B

#8 Mon, 09/17/2012 - 1:02am

Hi BruceK
It's also possible that your elbow pain may be the result of an associated nerve pinching due to inflammation on your spine, particularly your neck. I've battled a pain in my right elbow that is related to pressure on an inflamed disc in the c6-7 region of my neck. I've treated this condition with stretching techniques, cross training regimes, ice, ibuprofen, turmeric, and fish oil. What is you posture like when you paddle? Do you hunch your neck down during a long slog? My advice is to actively check your neck and back positioning when you paddle and pay attention to your symptoms of inflammation.

#9 Tue, 11/06/2012 - 10:13am

Bruce,
Besides all the good technique points to take stress off the elbows and transfer the work load to your lats and back muscles you could have a swelling of the tendons in the elbow that are pressing on a nerve. An easy way to take the inflammation down is to take 200mg of vitamin B6 every day for about a month. Hopefully the swelling goes down.
Aloha

#10 Thu, 11/08/2012 - 3:13pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.198 seconds.