Found OC1 off Big Island

Today an OC1 was retrieved 10 miles out of Kona. Fishermen are bringing it back to land. If you or know of someone that lost a canoe at sea, contact me via inbox or call 938-1664 with description.

Aloha,
Eddie

Submitted by edhay on Thu, 06/07/2012 - 1:02pm

Just an update.... canoe and owner have been reunited. Mahalo to those who phoned in. Best of luck in locating your missing canoe. Aloha

#1 Thu, 06/14/2012 - 9:39am

just out of curiosity, how many people called you about lost canoes?

#2 Thu, 06/14/2012 - 3:45pm

jc9_O- I had 1 Kauai and 3 Oahu. No Hawaii island, but it was a Hawaii island person canoe.

#3 Mon, 06/18/2012 - 9:32pm

I forget who but one of the boys from Kona was doing the keokea run when he was chased out of the water by a shark. He had to leave canoe behind. I bet it's his. I'll get his name.

#4 Tue, 06/19/2012 - 10:47am

@Kumunalu- Elaborate on that story.

#5 Tue, 06/19/2012 - 1:06pm

I'm probably mangling the story really bad because I've got old man's disease. This happened sometime before Molokai last season.

So some guys from Kawaihae were doing the Keokea run. I forget his name but he's pretty fast so he let the slower guys go ahead. Apparently he was bucked off his boat by a massive tiger shark. My memory is kinda shaky on the story but he may have just fallen off in the downwind. But whichever it was he lost his boat and tried to swim for it but couldn't quite get it. All the while the shark was hassling him by swimming between him and the canoe. The braddah had to fight the shark with his paddle numerous times. He commented on how solid the shark was. Like hitting a dump truck or something super heavy. Meanwhile his friends paddled away not knowing all this was going on. He basically made the decision to swim for shore but the shark just followed him all the way in to the cliff where he managed to exit, escaping with his life but leaving his canoe to drift out to sea.

I was told today his boat appeared last week in Kona. I don't know if this is the same canoe found by a fisherman but the boat was discovered on someone's truck and the guy with the boat claimed he bought if off a guy for $1200. The paddler got it back but wants to get this other guys money back for him.

Crazy story, maybe someone who knows it better could retell it since I'm sure I butchered it.

#6 Tue, 06/19/2012 - 8:25pm

If that's true, then Holy Shit! I'm glad the dude made it back to shore!

#7 Wed, 06/20/2012 - 4:13am

That story is almost as good as the ones I tell when I'm far behind the pack.

Interesting story.

#8 Wed, 06/20/2012 - 3:49pm

If I ever lose my oc1 on a downwinder this is the story I'm gonna tell... I'll make it a mako or great white so no one will know its the same story.

#9 Wed, 06/20/2012 - 6:38pm

same thing happened to me...doing a Kamalo run, fell off, lease broke, but was still around my ankle. A great white came by, I took my lease, made bridle, wrapped it around his nose and rode him home. True story.....

#10 Thu, 06/21/2012 - 11:19am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.188 seconds.