Fuze owners

OC connection users chime in here. I realize the fusion is pretty much a suring only boat, and that all OC boats are great in the bumps. The Osprey and zephyer are more all around boats. What about the Fuze? how does this boat surf? what about that flats? what could you compare this boat to?

Submitted by jf808 on Sun, 04/08/2012 - 9:19am

the fuze is great in the surf, but i can't move it as well in the flats. on a hawaii kai run, i lag in the start, but once were in open ocean, the bumps are super easy to ride. the boat is well built; I've dropped mine small kine a couple times and its still solid. I've had mine for 2 years now, bought it off craigslist for like 2100. i tried the osprey, and its lower volume, and skinnier by the footwells, but it tends to pearl in the surf. i have access to a zephyr and found that the volume was a little to much for me to enjoy (I'm 6'2" 160), but also surfs great. there isn't really any other boat that compares to it. the only thing i can think of is a slow, heavier pueo, haha.

#1 Sun, 04/08/2012 - 1:08pm

I got my Fuze 2nd hand many years ago. Cant afford to get a nice new canoe. In NZ Fuze does not have a good name. Someone here told me they were slow going upwind. I have never notieced that. pretty sure it was just the paddler. I love it in the surf. Im not the best paddler but got my best result in a 32km flat race. So im sure its good in flat or surf. It is strong. i have paddled it on rocks once but its still going strong. Just a bit heavy, about 14kg compared to a 8kg hurri or peggy. my training mate has a peggy and we take turns being the fastest in all conditions.

So i cant complain, think its a good strong all round canoe. Dont have the cash for any other so will keep pumping the fuze for years to come i think.

#2 Sun, 04/08/2012 - 9:00pm

I had a fuze for a while, and fusion and I used zephyr a lot. My fave was fuze. I think they marketed it all wrong when they marketed it for girls or really small people. I'm 6'1 190 (don't be intimidated by my size, I'm really just a teddy bear). I think the boat was underrated by the public. It surfs very well and is mediocre in all other conditions. I paddled an xm for a while after having it and I transitioned very well to it because they are similar boats. Xm is slightly better, but I wasn't willing to by an xm for the little improvement. It's not perfect. It it is a good boat and I would recommend it to my friends in Hawaii.

#3 Sun, 04/08/2012 - 10:31pm

I wasn't sure what to think. I think OC says the fuze is meant for small people but is good in the surf? a boat good in the surf must have a decent amount of volume.

#4 Mon, 04/09/2012 - 8:17am

One of my Amigos is an ex bodybuilder type, strong as an Ox and weighs around 250... he rides a "Fuze"... not bad in the flat and surfs really well... Jus sayin.

#5 Mon, 04/09/2012 - 1:11pm

I have an XS, it's actually my wife's. It's a great boat, however a little too small in volume for me. My friends have XM's and they love it. I was hoping that the Fuze would be similar to the XM but it's rated for 170lbs and bellow. based on that alone the XM and regular scorpius have much more volume than this thing

#6 Mon, 04/09/2012 - 7:03pm

I've tried almost all the "small volume" canoes. the xs was light, and felt good. It felt like it was easier to get onto the wave with the xs, but i couldn't get the long rides like i can on my fuze. i just felt it was a little tippier than i like. the xs and the xm are both super light compared to the fuze, or any outrigger connection boat for that matter. i even trailed a pueo for a week, loved it of course, but can't drop almost 5000 dollars, so i will stick to my fuze for now.

#7 Mon, 04/09/2012 - 11:59pm

So is it safe to say that the closest boat you could compare this too would be the scorpius XM? with the XM having the advantage?

#8 Wed, 04/11/2012 - 8:13am

I had a Fuze and felt I was pushing through the water, not over it. The minute I started paddling I sensed I'd immediately reached its hull speed and it would take a good amount of extra effort to get it to accelerate. also felt confined though I'm ony 5'11."

I now have a Scorpius XM. I no longer feel cramped and acceleration is not a problem.

#9 Wed, 04/11/2012 - 1:32pm

An 8.5kg rigged Fuze, I need one of those. My canoe is 14kgs. I dont mind it as its really strong.

#11 Thu, 04/12/2012 - 1:53pm

The Helium is the best

#12 Thu, 04/12/2012 - 5:59pm

I got a Zephyr and when I first tried it I could feel the run it had, and once I owned it the canoe took a while to grow on me now I love it. there's not that wide of a selection for the 220 lbs. range. same family as the fuze. The canoe is very well made. very well.

#13 Thu, 04/12/2012 - 7:07pm

FUZE still works for me , the boat is VERY good downwind . Zephyr maybe a little better because of ama shape , Zephyr ama lifts at just the right moment to help the paddler get it out of the water for the downhill slide.
Did I see that chines are on the new Kamanu boat ??!!

#14 Fri, 04/13/2012 - 2:00am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.