Gel coat repair

Testing out my Fusion today, when an SUP decided he wasnt going to move out of my way as I was riding a wave. Luckily i just chipped some of the gelcoat on my bow and did not damage the carbon fiber. I have put solar rez epoxy to seal it, but what kind of paint can I use to finish the repair?I was thinking the surftech touch up paint for epoxy surfboards. How about nail polish or auto touch up paint?

Submitted by koasurfdog on Sat, 09/01/2012 - 5:41pm

Haven't tried the Surftech touch up paint for epoxy surfboards yet.

I have used Rust-Oleums Paint for Plastics over minor polyester resin/gel coat and epoxy resin repairs before.

Krylons Fusion for PlasticĀ® might work as well, but haven't tried it yet.

#1 Sat, 09/01/2012 - 10:54pm

Thanks,
Im sure the surftech paint is probably similiar to the paints you have tried. My repair is minor and cosmetic, but because its right on the tip of the bow, I cant just hide it with a nice sticker!

#2 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 6:07am

I'm not sure if gel coats or other finishes on various canoes would be much different than Surftech surfboards. But I have found that just about anything from nail polish, Walmart cheapo enamel spray, model paint and even custom color matched car paint from an auto paint store near the Honolulu airport has worked fine on Surftech, C4 molded epoxy boards. The major decision maker for me was the area needed to fix and the color match aesthetics. Nail polish or model paint from a hobby store is cheapest ($2-3) and custom auto paint most expensive ($25+).

Maybe Dave from Surfco can make nose guards for canoes like SUPs and surfboards; NOT! Haha. Well maybe clear might be OK...

#3 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 8:06am

Thanks for all the feedback. Just wanted to make sure I didnt spray something on the boat that could cause damage to the carbon fiber. Decided to try Krylon spray paint for plastic. Just waiting for the pesky morning showers to stop!!

#4 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 8:34am

Happy to report the Krylon looks great!! Got a fun paddle from Hanalei to Queens bath and some fun bumps on the way back!!!

#5 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 7:22pm

Nice. Do u have before and after pics?

#6 Wed, 09/26/2012 - 6:22pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.230 seconds.