Getting back into paddling - reco for OC

LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE FOR NOVICE PADDLERS IN 60's. I used to paddle 6 & 9 man teams when in my teens - many years ago. Now my wife and I are both in early 60's are looking for something we can do together to be on the water and stay fit. We both still surf, are in good condition, and thinking paddling an OC-2 may be good for us. Mostly flat water in lakes and such, but also some ocean at times from California to Washington but probably only in good conditions. Probably won't race, but who knows. One friend recommended looking at Huki OC-2, but would like some other advice as well. Don't know much abouth the differences to look for or the pros & cons to even ask about. We drive from Washington to CA peridically so we could pick something up along the way. We live in Montana and go south some for the winters.

Appreciate your input!

Submitted by whitefishmt on Thu, 02/09/2012 - 11:48am

Hey Whitefish, I don't think you can go wrong w/ a Huki 2-man from Jude. I've owned a couple of his OC1's and have liked them. I still have one that I use as my flatwater canoe. I presently own a Outrigger Connection Stingray OC2. I really like this canoe as well. It has performed fine in the flats...but also excels in ocean surf..or windy chop. I would take either one. The only advantage I can think of with Huki is you can customize the canoe a bit (ie steering in both footwells, etc.). My OC canoe came pretty much set-up already. I know my older Huki's weren't as good in the surf..and were a bit fragile, BUT I think Jude has toughened them up a bit.

#1 Fri, 02/10/2012 - 3:32am

For sure call Jude and hook up with him next time you are down in California.

I know he has few couples in your age group paddling his doubles so he'll have some real world stuff to relate for discussion. He can probably steer you to some folks who will let you try their Huki out.

aloha,
pog

#2 Fri, 02/10/2012 - 3:59am

Whitefish, OC1 is an excellent form of excercise for someone in their 60's. Low impact and very little joint strain. I have a V1Z and found it to be a great boat, especially if you are looking for a lower volume boat for the flats. The Huki OC2's have a good rep, and many of the double paddlers at the winter races series are on them. Go for it, you will enjoy it.

#3 Fri, 02/10/2012 - 5:50am

The Kai Wa'a Tempest OC2 is the best in my opinion.

Go Bobcats!!!

#4 Fri, 02/10/2012 - 6:08am

I've heard ( but no personal experience) that you can paddle an OC2 with one person, so if there are times when only one of you guys feels like going out for a paddle, its still possible.

#5 Fri, 02/10/2012 - 8:05am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.176 seconds.