Grip Tape?

Steering blades often have strips of grip tape on the face of the blade. This is apparently to protect both the blade and the canoe. I can see how the tape might protect the paddle but wouldn't the abrasive tape do damage to the side of the canoe? I have seen quite a few of our club canoes with a worn patch right where the steersperson pokes.

My Kialoa Biscuit has these strips of 'protective' backing on the blade so I'm not sure how a steering blade would handle without the rough tape....would there be an issue with the blade not 'sticking' as well to the canoe if the paddle did not have grip tape on it? I have a brand new Pure steering paddle in my hands right now and it looks gorgeous! I'd prefer not to add grip tape to this beautiful paddle if possible.

Submitted by ho'okele on Thu, 11/22/2012 - 6:05am

Without the tape, your brand new steering blade is just a really big paddling blade. No tape means it won't stick to the hull and therefore is uselss as a steering blade. If you want to use it to steer, put the tape on it.

#1 Thu, 11/22/2012 - 11:41am

Ah, I see, thanks hasto.

So where would I buy this kind of tape....hardware store probably, I'm thinking, yes?

And what kind of tape would I ask for?

I have skateboard grip tape but that seems like it would be too abrasive. How about grip tape that is used on steps to folks from slipping?

#2 Thu, 11/22/2012 - 12:31pm

How about grip tape that is used on steps to folks from slipping?'
Yep. Exactly.

#3 Thu, 11/22/2012 - 12:47pm

Get a non-slip tape that is used for bath tubs. Grip tapes that is used for steps, or a skateboard is way too rough.

#4 Thu, 11/22/2012 - 1:11pm

Hummm.....good idea, the bathtub grip makes total sense....I was worried about how much damage the abrasive grip would do to the edge of the canoe....

#5 Thu, 11/22/2012 - 2:46pm

I have an older wood Pure steering paddle with no grip tape and I have no problem with it sticking to the side of the canoe when I poke. Maybe the carbon surface of hybrid paddles is more slippery. I guess the new Pure steering paddles have carbon all the way down the blade to make them stronger.

The non-skid tape used for boats is pretty good. You can get it at a Marine supply shop. It's not cheap.

#6 Thu, 11/22/2012 - 3:25pm

I'm not sure if you can call a steering blade useless without grip tape. Lot's of old time steersman never used it and to this day prefer to not use on their steering blade. You might want to try it without the grip tape.

#7 Thu, 11/22/2012 - 3:58pm

For some time now, the paddling community has been obsessed with 'light-weight' equipment, paddles included. As paddle shafts, blades as well, were made thinner to achieve the 'lighter' steering paddle, the shafts often snapped under the extensive pressure. By this time, the paddling community was accustomed to the smaller diameter shaft. Manufacturers therefore, continued to keep the steering shafts thin but continued the 'round' of the shaft to be extended down into the blade face. This strengthened the shaft and helped to minimize the snapping shafts. However, this 'rounded' protrusion at the top of the blade face does not allow the blade face to sit flat against the hull thereby causing the blade to 'rock' back and forth when placed in the 'poke' position and allows the rushing water along the side of the hull to 'catch' the blade and throw it backwards. Thus the evolution of non-skid strips.

These non-skid strips are severely damaging to both koa (any wood hull) and fiberglass hulls. Using them is no different than taking a sheet of sand paper to your car....rub a little off today, a little tomorrow and before you know it, you've got a hole.

We must keep in mind that Hawaiians, and all Polynesians, steered canoes for centuries without the assistance of non-skid strips. Today, many steerspersons can't steer without them....shameful. This is an example of how the outrigger culture is slowly eroding.

#8 Thu, 11/22/2012 - 5:29pm

Thanks for your comments.

But now I'm really unsure ... grip tape or no grip tape?

Maybe try out the blade as is first?

Look for some non abrasive non skid to have on hand just in case rocker on the heel of the paddle compromises the blade's ability to stick to the canoe?

#9 Fri, 11/23/2012 - 5:52am

A steering blade with the rounded shaft extending down into the face of the blade will pose 'sticking' issues without the grip tape. A steering blade with an all-flat face will, 1) eliminate the need for grip tape, 2) prevent unnecessary damage and maintenance costs on the hull and, 3) respect the canoe as our ancestors did.

It's also worth mentioning that we often see gouges in the gunwales of our koa canoes caused by carbon fiber blades on the exchanges. There are also gouges on the sides of koa hulls caused by the hard edges of these carbon fiber blades. These resulting actions are disrespectful to our highly reverred koa canoes especially because they are avoidable. A composite canoe deserves the same respect.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

#10 Fri, 11/23/2012 - 8:05am

Thank you for your comments Bill. I feel your pain when a canoe is damaged by a blade. Afterall these two aspects of traditional ocean travel should be in harmony at all times.

I too want to show the utmost respect to any outrigger that I paddle. To that end I strive to improve my technique so that I do not cause damage due to poor skills. As well, I too like to use equipment that works well and is designed with both the task and environment in mind.

The Pure steering paddle looks amazing and feels well balanced. The size I selected is the smallest they make as I am hoping to use this steering paddle for conditions when I can paddle more than steer given a balanced crew and smooth waters. I will go ahead with adding the non skid strips as this paddle does have the rounded shaft extending into the face as you have described. But I will be on the hunt for as least abrasive material as possible to use for this application.

#11 Fri, 11/23/2012 - 8:19am

The grip tape is the rubberized stuff ... Any Ace, HD. Lowes etc. has it....

Paddles should have smooth ( rounded ) wetsanded edges as well.

aloha,
pog

#12 Fri, 11/23/2012 - 10:18am

A bunch of people in my club use that grey tape on their steering blades. When I asked them what it was called nobody knew as most of them had gotten the tape from a friend rather than buying it. Through extensive use of the internet I found that this tape is 3M Safety-Walk INDOOR TREAD. this tape is for putting on the ground for grip when wet. the outdoor tread is like sandpaper while the indoor tread is gummy and rubbery while still grippy. I used my mudbrook steering blade for a season without tape before I had to refinish it. I didn't see a need for the tape but after refinishing my paddle and realizing how beautiful it looked I decided to put the 3M safety walk on it to protect the finish. It works perfectly and stays on really well

#13 Fri, 11/23/2012 - 9:22pm

Thanks to the discussion and suggestions here.

I did indeed get some non-skid tape, at Revy, that is usually applied around pools and hot tubs. It is as you describe it, altolax,gummy and rubbery. They only had white which looks a bit stark against the black carbon fibre paddle blade but I will try it out for a while and if it works well then that's all that matters.

#14 Sat, 11/24/2012 - 7:06pm

Reporting back from today's OC6 practice, I can tell you this Pure steering paddle is really nicely balanced for paddle steering. Conditions were flat and the crew was blending well. The paddle felt a little bit 'blade heavy' compared to my Kialoa Biscuit, a feature which felt quite good as I paddled along about 80% of the time.

As for the strips of tape, the white rubberized 'poolside' grip tape seems too slick for my liking. Strangely it felt more slippery when wet than when dry.

I think I will go looking for the marine non skid grip tape that OC_Ken mentioned in his post. I would like a little more grip without risking abrasion. The search continues...

#15 Mon, 11/26/2012 - 4:37pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.198 seconds.