Hawaii Kai to Ewa Beach race this weekend 25-30 E winds

We need to have an Eddie Aikau style race that goes from HK to Ewa Beach when the winds pop up like this. The race gets scheduled when we know the winds will probably make this a race happen. I imagine rules and regulations make this a challenge, but Manny and/or Foti can figure this one out.

This run is definitely one of the best runs in Hawaii if not the best because of its length.

So who wants to put this race on this weekend?

Submitted by healthyearth on Mon, 12/10/2012 - 4:07pm

Healthyearth,
I can't Paddle like you folks but I know how to Run a Safe Race Course - Call me 306-4121 if you need help with Safety Boats to moniter the Race Course.

#1 Mon, 12/10/2012 - 5:25pm

Hawai‘i Kai to Ko Olina. Did the run once. Funnest paddle I ever had.

Thought there used to be a race to Ewa Beach. Not sure what happened to it.

#2 Mon, 12/10/2012 - 5:39pm

Best part of the course is where they shoot live rounds out to sea (off the target range). Do they still do that?

#3 Mon, 12/10/2012 - 10:55pm

Best part of the course is where they shoot live rounds out to sea (off the target range). Do they still do that?

#4 Mon, 12/10/2012 - 10:56pm

@GM- I leave putting together races to the pros.

@JC9- I think it's also the best run and I think I've done most of them if not all of them in Hawaii. I just didn't want this thread to get about what island has the best run's. (It's 20 miles or so of only surf, nothing else just get to blinker bouy and you surf on to the beach)

@The only gun shots I here there are from the neigborhood.

#5 Tue, 12/11/2012 - 9:33am

@HE - Roger That!!! That is why I am letting the Paddling Community know that My Team and I are out here and ready to get it on. In Fact I am looking to put on a Couple Events in the near Future. Still Brainstorming the race Courses and Divisions. Got so many of them now. Hard to find Open Dates. We'll see. You came up with a Great Race Course for sure. I am sure someone out here is paying attention. Happy Holiday's to All.

#6 Tue, 12/11/2012 - 4:06pm

EWA Run is ON:

Franko (healthyearth: aka Cream pie) talked me into doing this with a bunch of people. So I want to let you all know yes we are doing Hawaii Kai to Ewa Beach Saturday, 12/15/12. Anyone is welcome. Ocean Playground shuttle will be picking us up at 12:000 in Ewa to bring us back to Hawaii Kai. Call her and reserve a spot so your on the shuttle. So meet at Hawaii Kai at 9:30am or a little earlier. Bring water is a 20 miler. Peace.

#7 Thu, 12/13/2012 - 1:15pm

While technically this is a coastal run, the course runs about 2 miles offshore so if you break a cable or paddle, you're stuck. If it's windy enough the other paddlers are of no help whatsoever.

Last time I did this run I took off on a steep one outside of DH buoy and pitch poled the ski. Punched straight under like a pelican going for dinner, felt the whitewater taking the tail over, and popped up with my feet twisted/ entrapped in the foot strap. I was wearing a PFD which held my torso up enough so that I was able to calmly take stock of the situation and figure out which way I needed to spin my body to untwist my feet and get going again.

I like the PFD on these runs because it keeps the phone/ whistle/ snacks on my person. I called HealthyEarth one time at Portlock when we were supposed to regroup and couldn't find each other. He didn't pick up, but he heard it ringing and figured it was me so started heading back to the point chirping on his whistle until we were re-united.

Last but not least, it can get pretty cold when you're surfing your balls off on a cloudy day cause you're soaking wet and not putting out much effort, just sitting there connecting one trough to another, zoning out and contemplating what a miracle it is to be swooping across the waves like an albatross. In those situations the PFD helps keep the chill at bay...

#8 Thu, 12/13/2012 - 2:35pm

I 2nd the pfd, even inflatable ones will keep you warm. Regarding footstraps, they can be dangerous in shallow water, where they lock you in and you can't get out of your ski, especially on a shallow reef. Foot straps should have a quick release. Or just remove them, for they get in the way when remounting in rough conditions. I don't know of any canoes that have them?

#9 Thu, 12/13/2012 - 8:35pm

Where in EWA do you come in? I'm interested but to slow to keep up with you guys!

#10 Fri, 12/14/2012 - 10:37am

Ewa Beach Park, it is at the very end of Fort Weaver Rd.- people of all different speeds are going. Not sure who is going at your speed though, I also don't know how fast you are.

I've taken a number of people on this run for their first time and had to wait on them. So surely one of them will be willing to pay it forward.

The first time I went we plugged GPS cordinates and just followed that.

#11 Fri, 12/14/2012 - 11:41am

Thanks healthyearth, what GPS system did you have? I'll probably pick one up so I don't have to burden anyone.

#12 Fri, 12/14/2012 - 12:48pm

Not sure what kind it was.

#13 Fri, 12/14/2012 - 12:52pm

Just past reef runway you'll see two buoys marking pearl harbor entrance. Start making your way towards shore (northish). Look for a loong tall brick wall, thats the berm for the Puuloa range. Aim for just left of it. Watch out for pop up waves. Enjoy.

Good luck, wish I could join you guys but I'm not ready for a 20 miler yet.

#14 Fri, 12/14/2012 - 3:34pm

Did this run a couple of times back in the mid 1980's windsurfing. Epic.

#15 Fri, 12/14/2012 - 4:24pm

I'm in. Reserved my spot!!

#16 Fri, 12/14/2012 - 5:04pm

Back in the mid 1980's, the run started from Sand Island and was still a lot of fun doing it in stackable Made in Hawaii fiberglass Scuppers.

#17 Fri, 12/14/2012 - 11:53pm

This Sunday HK to Ewa run, Jan 6th. Pick up at 12:30. So far we have 5. Contact Denise at Oceanplaygroundshuttle@gmail.com if you would like to go.

Last time was a blast.

#18 Fri, 01/04/2013 - 9:30am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.377 seconds.