Huki/ScorpiusXM/Storm

I am a 6'1" 200 lb guy and I have been looking at various OC1. Since I am on the east coast of the US I don't have the ability to test the different manufactures out there and wanted to get some thoughts on the three I have narrowed my list down to. My list is the Huki VX-1, Scorpius XM, and the Storm. In looking at the race results for various races I see the Scorpius XM but I don't see the Storm or the Huki. I realize the Storm is new so I can understand why it has not shown up in the race results. Wondering about how durable it is being so light and if it is beyond my skill level. Also wondering why the Huki doesn't show up. They appear to be very well built with alot of nice features. I am looking for a canoe that would be 60 % fitness training / 20 % racing / 20 % surfing on waves no greater than 3 feet ( I am on the Gulf of Mexico ). I have looked at older posts on this topic but have a concerned that the canoes have changed since those posts. Right now I am paddling an older Hurricane and I recently did a 10 mile paddle in 1hr 42 minutes so I have some work to do in developing my abilities as an OC1 paddler. So appreciate you insights into what canoe would best fit my paddling conditons, my physical dimensions and my paddling skill level. Thanks

Submitted by Whale on Wed, 06/27/2012 - 4:31am

I test drove the Storm and it is definitely gone to the next level. The Pueo is a great one. Also, just to add confusion , I like how the guys over at outrigger connection build canoes, and they have a new one out called Torrent. good luck.

#1 Wed, 06/27/2012 - 5:22am

Hey Whale, I'm on the east coast too...mid-Atlantic region. There isn't as much canoe choices readily available to us as you'll see from HI or the West Coast. If you're Gulf of Mexico (??Florida), check out crazypaddlers.net. They carry lines of OC1s (Kai boats and Hurricane, storm, etc). Also check out Clearwater outrigger club. If you're near Texas...there are also OC1 reps there. I'm about 5'11", 200lbs and I found that I really like the XM. I mostly use it in the ocean but I've used it on the flats too (rivers) and like it just as much. It performs best (to me) when there's a bit of bump to ride. I've also had a hurricane, huki (which I still have for flat water), and Outrigger connection canoes. Right now, I like the XM. Good Luck!

#2 Wed, 06/27/2012 - 6:24am

I've raced both the V1X and the XM but haven't been on the Storm yet so...

The XM is extremely comfortable. It feels like you are sitting "in" the canoe rather than on top of it and it surfs extremely well. The only downside that I've witnessed on the XM is that it is pretty slow in the flats. However, if you've got any wind and swell, this OC1 will be your best friend.

The Huki V1X is a decent canoe. The positives are that they seem well built, the customization that Jude does is pretty cool and his communication is also very prompt. Downsides are that I have never been comfortable on a Huki, ever. The canoe runs ok in all conditions but if there's wind and swell, the XM will out-surf the crap out of the Huki.

#3 Wed, 06/27/2012 - 6:35am

Hey Whale, Got a storm 2 months ago... Think it would fit your description and needs well. The Huki's can be fast in flats but just won't ride as well in those smallish swells. The Storm is super light and is easy to get up and running fast. Does well in the flats and have surfed a lake down-wind at 13 mph with ease the other day. Stayed beside an xm no issues. Ama sticks and does not bounce around much. Upwind it does really well and I think the sticky ama is part of the reason. It cuts into waves well and holds its line ok.The quickness in rudder makes it a bit twitchy for the first little while but that is a learning curve easy to overcome. Have raced it in flatter waters and beat lots of hurricanes some paddlers which I have not beat before The xm is a beautiful canoe and have paddled a few only raced one off Maui, just happened on a flatter day so nothing to report there.

Storm Little cons... No leash attachment? I personally would not feel comfortable in the big ocean with the leash on the front iako where mine resides..
This boat is delicate and would not survive club use. It is more of a race production, just keep that in mind.
Vents. Not sure what Mike was thinking here. These black boats heat up very fast. It uses a closed plug and requires a small drilled outlet hole on the hull deck and ama to reduce the risk of hull expansion. I have had it out of the water on land sometimes in the sun for less than 5 min and when the plug is unscrewed the hot air whooshes out for more than a few seconds. Will wait to hear about the 1st hull to blow on this site when someone forgets the plug and has a couple beers in the sun after a paddle.

#4 Wed, 06/27/2012 - 5:35pm

Is there differences in the china made scorpius and the HI canoes. They are about $2000 difference in aus. Is there any quality difference. Do HI paddlers paddle HI canoes or they the same price there ? I am not in a position to compare canoes.

THXS

#5 Thu, 07/05/2012 - 3:09am

@boss, Chinese XM's are heavier and more solidly built whereas Hawaiian XM's are lighter but more fragile (and $2k more expensive).

#6 Thu, 07/05/2012 - 11:55am

The China XM is a bit heavier than the Hawaiian made xm's but they are also a bit sturdier because of it. May be a better solution being on the east coast since repairs may not be as easily accessible as here. I have paddled one and it is a SOLID canoe for sure but not right for me as im too short - 5'9. At 6 ft tall a china xm may be a good purchase for you.

#7 Thu, 07/05/2012 - 12:06pm

I've been looking at this canoe also. How much heavier are the chinese models than the local layups? 1-2 lbs, 2-4lbs, or like 4-6 lbs?

#8 Fri, 07/06/2012 - 10:25pm

the older China XM's are about 2-4 lbs heavier (maybe a bit more in some cases if you are comparing the lightest custom layups) however the newer CHina models may way about the same and are really stiff (if anything like the new China XS which is really light). Best way to tell the difference between new and old- I think the newer CHina XMs will be black carbon with maybe some color around the seam. And they have the normal drain plugs which some Storm owners are converting to.

#9 Sat, 07/07/2012 - 7:47am

Thanks for all the comments and thoughts. Also apologize for the lateness of this thanks. Life is like the sea it can give us waves to dealt with that can take us off course for a while.

#10 Sun, 09/09/2012 - 1:27pm

Whale, give me a shout and I can give you some more info on the canoes. Can also organize a day for you to come out and give one a try. Looking forward to meeting you.

#11 Tue, 09/11/2012 - 10:28am

The new China built kaiwaa boats are very light weight, and stiff carbon construction. Similar construction as the new China storms. Build quality seems just fine to me. It's amazing how light these new boats are especially the xs. This new batch of boats, xs has same color scheme as the last batch, xm's have black hull, colored deck which varies.

#12 Wed, 09/26/2012 - 6:20pm

I just picked up my china made scorpius XM from surf line hawaii. Cost me 3650 w/ tax, and came with a canoe and ama cover (cheaply made, thin fabric, but still a cover). Love it so far. A few things surprised me when purchasing the canoe. First, each of the boats at surf line had a small defect; wether it was a dime size dent, scratches under the clear coat, or canoe mold defects. Kai's wife offered me a 25 dollar credit for the small dent. Second, this boat is LIGHT! They are making them double carbon, extended footwells, with carbon fiber iakos. A maui made will run you 4,000, and it will weigh about the same as a china boat. Lastly, the boat is virtually seamless. The guy at Surf line said Kai sent a bladder to china, so the only seam on the boat feels just like paint. Im 6'2" about 165 lbs, so the boat is a little high in volume for me, but its still runs great.

#13 Wed, 09/26/2012 - 10:48pm

Can anyone put in there 2 cents on the new(er) Hurricanes?
I'm debating between an XM or a Hurricane.
A new Pueo would be nice, but there has been no indication of a release date - and when I think about the wait list - fuhgeddaboudit.
I'm about 6ft 2in, 190 pounds.
I've been able to demo a XM - which is nice - but haven't had a chance to paddle a new 'cane. Plus, the Ozone website has been 'under contruciton for a while (ironically, as I type this, the site appears to be 'up').
Cheers.

#14 Thu, 09/27/2012 - 8:09am

Thought I'd throw in my 2c on the latest Chinese XM's. As ryim says, they're LIGHT! I usually have to hold it down with one hand while I tie it to the car. With the new building process, they're very stiff as well.
I've noticed that they've lost a little volume campared to my older canoe. If I had to summarise it, I'd say the new models have been Hurricane-ized. If this is a good or bad thing, the jury's still out. I've only had mine for 2 weeks so it's another learning curve to get used to how it performs. Anyone else got any opinions?

#15 Fri, 11/23/2012 - 10:29pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.