Hurricane rudder pedal problem--any input?

Folks,

My friend's hurricane has a floppy rudder pedal. The 2 screws that attach the pedal to the boat have both failed (corrosion/rust). Have any of you had this happen on your hurricane and what was the fix?

thanks,
lndbrusr

Submitted by lndbrusr on Tue, 05/01/2012 - 6:54pm

Just replace the pedals... call Jim Foti.

#1 Wed, 05/02/2012 - 12:03am

happened to me..the threads in the canoe were worthless....i got a marine epoxy (dont use a regular epoxy) and epoxyed the pedal onto the canoe--i kept the screws in place to anchor the epoxy a bit---it does not look pretty but its held for over a year with no signs of loosening

#2 Wed, 05/02/2012 - 10:51am

If it was any other canoe, I'd just replace the failed/rusted screws with new ones. If the threads inside the canoe are shot, I'd clean out or even drill out the hole and fill it with some two-part Marine epoxy putty. After the epoxy putty has cured overnight, I'd drill a starter hole though the putty and screw in some stainless steel screws to put the pedal(s) back on.

#3 Wed, 05/02/2012 - 2:37pm

ended up using my dremel tool to "flatten" the tops of the broken screws and then using a broken bolt extractor to drill and then pull out the broken screw bits... New screws going in today (with some anti sieze compound on them).

Pics attached.

#4 Mon, 05/07/2012 - 7:30am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.173 seconds.