Iako frozen in sleeve

Trying to get my OC1 back in shape...

Any new ideas besides cutting out hull sleeve to remove frozen Iako tubes?
Where can I get the carbon sleeves to lay into hull after cutting out?
Anyone know a good aluminum fabricator that can make me new Iakos?
Where can I buy seat foam?

Thanks for your help.

Chuck

Submitted by sandseeker on Sat, 05/26/2012 - 3:37am

Hello Chuck,
Welcome to OCP, I might be able to help but what region are you located? Nor Cal, So Cal, Hawaii, Australia...This stuff is available by certain online distributors but you might have local suppliers nearby.

Gaucho

#1 Sat, 05/26/2012 - 12:29pm

Cutting hull is and would be a flagrant mistake ... Start off by soaking it with simple green, work on it a little at a time ... Micro movements way better than trying to muscle it off. Go for combination of twist, pull, push and wiggle with boat laying on its side while you stand over it. ... Keep wiggling and spraying it ... You will see tiny movements at first but know then you got it ... Keep going and it will pull out.

Oh and make sure the spring button or set screw off the iako.

DO NOT CUT the boat !

aloha,
pog

#2 Sat, 05/26/2012 - 2:21pm

Can't support onnopaddle's statement enough, DO NOT CUT YOUR BOAT. Simple Green works well, as does normal dish soap and warm water. A solvent like goof off might also be good to help breakdown whatever is freezing the Iako to the boat. Keep the twisting/pulling going. Odds are it's salt and corroded aluminum which you will be able to break free with some hard work and patience.

Depending on what kind of boat you have there are probably some Iakos somewhere you could buy without the need to have a new set fabricated.

Good Luck
Brian

#3 Sat, 05/26/2012 - 3:15pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.173 seconds.