Kamanu Ha'upu vs Southern Spirit - video

Submitted by Rambo on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 2:32pm

Interesting how they both handle the different conditions. Could not be further apart design wise. Both awesome canoes.

#1 Thu, 05/24/2012 - 2:36pm

F-in A Rambo,

Nice one man ... Anyone watching, gotta go to full screen ... Nice transitions on music ... up 'till 3:48 ... Here they play that song WAY too much already .... If can, please graft in something new we neva' heea.

mahalos,
pog

#2 Thu, 05/24/2012 - 10:44pm

i see that the different conditions were as follows: flat, marginally flat, and concave*. not a ton of variety there but a cool video! how the heck is anyone gonna dog the use of a Def Leppard song? ah camon.

*descriptor invented by goto to describe conditions that are flatter than flat. the water is so flat that it literally turns inward upon itself and creates a vacuum of flatness.

#3 Fri, 05/25/2012 - 12:40pm

The "Cane Knife" ama....30% faster w/ butt rock accompaniment.

#4 Sat, 05/26/2012 - 5:16pm

Haha, yeah jc, unfortunately not all of us have the awesome waters of Hawaii at our doorstep, that's why we come over there to get some. Yep Jim, that axe AMA is non forgiving if you miss judge your swim-in paddler change over, added incentive to get it right or experience decapitation!

#5 Sat, 05/26/2012 - 11:27pm

pog,

Def Leppard is awesome. Well done Rambo

That is all

#6 Tue, 05/29/2012 - 12:13pm

no knock on the conditions, it was just funny cause i was waiting for the canoes to round a headland or island and hit some bombing surf, headwind or something.

and honestly, who doesn't like Def Leppard?

#7 Tue, 05/29/2012 - 3:57pm

Even gays like Def Leppard !

#8 Tue, 05/29/2012 - 7:07pm

someone willing to share his experience on this "knife ama" ?
I find the design interesting. Looks like it slices through the waves instead of bumping on it, therefore giving less rocking to the hull.
I guess it's less prone to capsizing.
I wonder if it works like it looks like ! :-)

And what about the drag ?

#9 Tue, 05/29/2012 - 9:51pm

Yep fabrice, you got it. we've been using it in OZ for the past 15 years. The design was done by Iain Murray from Bashford boats.
The concept is to cut through the water and waves instead of travelling over it. It makes for a much smoother ride, similar to the hull of a cat.
The rig will track fairly straight though, so, allowing the steerer to paddle more.....
Canoe steers different from from Hawaiian designs as the tail of the canoe is very stream lined as opposed to a larger fatter tail for surfing as in bradley mirage etc...
These canoes are made for OZ conditions being small medium bumps, but like any canoe they are only as good as the engine.
The hull of the spirit has similar lines to that of the ama deep and sharp at the front , shallow and skinny at the rear. Minimal drag effect on canoe as well as ama

#10 Wed, 05/30/2012 - 1:24am

this always seems to be the challenge for builders. design for a specific water type or come up with something that will be pretty good in all conditions. a game of compromise.

#11 Wed, 05/30/2012 - 8:23am

Rambo your vids always rock!! Thank you for the footage from down under. What were all the different canoes in the race. I wasable to recognize the spirit, mirage, bradley, but am unfamiliar with the other canoes. Was the kamanu the only unlimited in the race, or were there other unlimited designs? Cool to see all these different canoe designs.

#12 Wed, 05/30/2012 - 8:10pm

Thanks for sharing Dingo. It makes sense that straight steering is eased by that "rail". Very interesting indeed.
Out of curiosity : Do you know where I could find some pics out of water, to get a better view of the hull and ama ?

jc9 : You're right ! A boat is always a matter of compromise.
That's where all the fun is : Different people, different places, different seas, different boats !

#13 Wed, 05/30/2012 - 8:18pm

I'll take a few at training on the weekend for ya.
We have 1 sitting alongside our kamanu.
You'll be able to see the different lines

#14 Wed, 05/30/2012 - 8:44pm

Thanks a lot !

#15 Wed, 05/30/2012 - 9:01pm

@paddlepaddlepaddle - canoes in the video were Mirage, Bradley, Southern Spirit, Kamanu Haupu & Tiger ROC.
All canoes were spec canoes (min. weight 130kg). Tiger ROC is modified version of a canoe from Cooks Islands (Tahitian design).

Cheers.

#16 Thu, 05/31/2012 - 1:42pm

Hey ! Where are the pics ?
Just kidding Dingo, doesnt't mean to push. Just to give the post a little up ;-)

#17 Wed, 06/06/2012 - 1:35am

By now he could be on the road to the Battle of the Paddles at Hamilton Island.

#18 Wed, 06/06/2012 - 6:11pm

Hey, sorry the canoes got loaded on the trailer side by side heading for Hamo, but it was pouring rain at the time of loading. Will get some at Hamo and load up for ya

#19 Wed, 06/06/2012 - 7:37pm

haha, okey, no sweat. good luck !

#20 Wed, 06/06/2012 - 8:03pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.234 seconds.