Looking for advice general or specific on OC-1 starter boats

Aloha I'm just putting out feelers for any advice or recommendations for OC-1 equipment. Both my daughter and I would best be considered new to OC-1 paddling with different backgrounds. I'm wondering if there is any one OC-1 that we both could learn on with durability, cost, weight, Ala Wai and super easy short ocean runs in mind. My daughter has paddled seats 1-5 in a 6 man and has good cardio & average strength. She's 5-4 & 125 pounds; 14 years old. I'm 47, 5-6, 175 pounds with 6 man canoe, SUP, over 35 years surfing experience; fair cardio.

Was hoping to eventually buy an Epic but will be happy to get the hang of OC-1 first one thing at a time. Maybe a good starter boat that will allow us to both get started before plunking down some big change for 2 boats. I hope this is the appropriate place to discuss this. All advice welcomed.

Submitted by Nakana on Sat, 08/04/2012 - 2:47pm

Where are you located? if you are in Hawaii you could find one on craigslist for a good price second hand, check for damages and get a Hurricane or fuze. something that was fast and still are. before you buy a new pueo. I cant emphasize this enough, make sure it hasn't been damaged.

#1 Sun, 08/05/2012 - 5:39am

Thanks I'm on Oahu and have been actively looking for a week now. I'd like to find a boat that would be easy to learn on for both my daughter and me and allow us room for progression. Thanks for your reply. What would be a reasonable price for a used 2-4 year old Hurricane or Fuze?

#2 Sun, 08/05/2012 - 8:14am

check on Y2Kanu also.I see a Scorpius full size asking $2200 in Kapolei,good if hawaii made,could be a keeper for you,and then get something smaller down the line for your daughter.I bought a PineUla Vantage for $1600 as a first OC-!,still have only that one i like it so much for what I do(downwind).If you get a Vantage,make sure it's not China made.and like Mulus said,check the hull carefully for soft spots or cracks.Good luck

#3 Sun, 08/05/2012 - 8:41am

Right on will check the place U suggested. Mahalo

#4 Sun, 08/05/2012 - 9:09am

I bet you both would do well on a Hurricane

#5 Sun, 08/05/2012 - 9:14am

OK I appreciate the 411. Will continue my search

#7 Mon, 08/06/2012 - 6:08pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.187 seconds.