Midweek Article on Jimmy Austin

Nice article on Jimmy and his recent wins. Having never met or seen Jimmy Austin, I enjoyed the picture of him in the article- nice pink canoe! Now I know where his nickname came from.

Submitted by paddlefast on Fri, 05/04/2012 - 8:24am

Can you post a link to the article?

#1 Fri, 05/04/2012 - 8:50am

I am looking at the hardcopy of the 5/2 issue- article by Ron Mizutani- it may be the Kauai edition. Photo courtesy Keizo Gates. Article in the electronic version does not show the canoe picture. Just having fun. Nice picture in both venues of Jimmy and his ladies.

#2 Fri, 05/04/2012 - 9:25am

Electronic editions of the Oahu Midweek and the Kaui Midweek.

http://www.midweek.com/jimmy-austin-a-family-victory/

http://www.midweekkauai.com/2012/05/jimmy-austin-a-family-victory/

#3 Fri, 05/04/2012 - 10:25am

I read this last week. I thought it was interesting that the paddling community complains about the paper not commenting on paddling but yet when they do nobody knows about it. Maybe that form of communication is done!!!!!! AND JUST MAYBE WE CAN NOW STOP CARING WHAT THE IRRELAVANT PAPER HAS TO SAY ABOUT PADDLING OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER.

My favorite thing Jimmy said was the part about him only working for Hawaiian Air because there's is "no chance of leaving Hawaii". I stongly agree!! I like that particular outlook he has on life.

Now if he would have said that on this website then proabably a lot more people would have seen it.

#4 Fri, 05/04/2012 - 11:24am

Jimmy's attitude and perspective really impressed me. There are aspects of canoe paddling that are difficult to articulate and he did it well. One point that stood out to me is the sacrifice the family makes to support the Dad to follow the dream, and then being strong enough to handle and accept that. Its a tough call, any paddler that is also a Dad knows what this is about.
Right on Jimmy, I don't know you personally but after reading that you got my respect. Congratulations FTW.

#5 Fri, 05/04/2012 - 1:31pm

The pink canoe picture looks like lauren bartlett. I think its a mistake. Nice story.

#6 Fri, 05/04/2012 - 3:42pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.189 seconds.