OC2 design and choice

I'm growing interest on the OC2 concept.
Looking at the products available, I was wondering :

1) Is there a huge difference between a short ama, only including the rear paddler, and a long one, including both paddlers ?
2) Is it possible, if ever made, to build an OC2 rudderless ?
3) For those who use or have tried OC2, which one is the best for flat to moderate conditions ?

Thank you !

Submitted by fabrice on Fri, 01/06/2012 - 3:27am

Wave Blade 2 Pinuela Va'a Big Island

#1 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 7:14am

Fabrice, le Mahoe de Tiger.

#2 Fri, 01/06/2012 - 9:07am

I wish we had more OC2's to choose from. I and most of my friends that use my OC2 absolutly have a ball. Everytime after a run or a race there always is a bigger smile than on the solo craft. Personally I like taking people on it that are not good in the surf and showing them a little about what I do. Seems to get them hooked faster.

Keizo ................. BLESS UPON US AND THE WORLD A TWO MAN!! THE HAPPINESS THAT YOUR MIND ALREADY PRODUCED BY MAKING THE PUEO WILL BE EVEN GREATER WHEN YOU CREATE THE "PUEO DUECE". ALL HAIL THE MIND OF KEIZO!! (and his other partners)

#3 Mon, 01/09/2012 - 10:30am

Healtyearth: Wouldn't a kamanu OC-2 be called a "Twueo"?

donM

#4 Mon, 01/09/2012 - 11:39am

Anyone has tried OC2s with ama rear rigging alone or both seats rigging ?
I'd really appreciate to understand the difference, if any.
(like stingray vs waveblade, for instance)
Thanks !

#5 Mon, 01/09/2012 - 12:47pm

@Kahuna- That was good- I'm pissed I didn't come up with that myself.

Sorry Fabrice, I'm just adding interference to your thread. I wish I had some answers for you. If Echart Diestel was still around I bet he'd be able to help. I really miss that guy.

#6 Mon, 01/09/2012 - 3:49pm

no sweat healthyearth, I laughed too !
Not so much kamanu products in France, but the last time I saw one, I was engaged in a V6 race and it was like a "woosh" to my right.
It had a pretty good engine to be fair.

#7 Mon, 01/09/2012 - 11:05pm

I have experience on a Huki OC2 where the ama is around the rear paddler and own a Tempest where the ama is around the front paddler. The ama placement and the volume distribution is very different and both have a good feel. I have noticed the Huki runs well in the flats and small conditions and the Tempest flies in the surf. Both are very fun. But I would upgrade to a Twueo to round out my Kamanu collection.

#8 Tue, 01/10/2012 - 5:31am

Thank you caligirl. Ever tried one with the ama round both paddlers ?
The choice in France is quite scarce, but could be worse :
One outrigger connection dealer (therefore stingray with rear ama)
One builder in Italy (allwave oracle, both paddlers ama).
That's pretty much all I can get.
I contacted a few builders in the pacific area, that's not worth it, for them and for me !

#9 Tue, 01/10/2012 - 11:43pm

As J. outpaddlin said the Tiger Mahoe is around both paddlers. Very good flat water speed, balanced, bit long in the surf, tends to broach off the ama in bigger stuff.

#10 Wed, 01/11/2012 - 12:58am

I've had a stingray 2 for several years now and have had a blast paddling with friends in rougher ocean conditions. It has the rear ama design. I've also used it in the flats with very good results. I think you have to experiment on which paddler sits where (weight distribution wise). My old club had an older John Martin design (I think) OC2. Since this canoe was older...it was much heavier. It did well in flat conditions though. I have to say that the first couple of times I sat in the forward seat on the stingray...it was weird to look out to the left and not see an ama! THe orientation of the canoe (that is to say approaching huli) was by seat of the pants...not visually looking at the ama.

#11 Wed, 01/11/2012 - 3:09am

Thank you all for your infos.
It looks like the rear ama design fits better the surf conditions, and I'll paddle mostly flat or light condition with this one.
This helps me aim to the right product.
Thanks a lot !

#12 Fri, 01/13/2012 - 4:28am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.192 seconds.