Padling OC1 for touring in place of kayaks

I am looking for advice on moving from ocean touring with kayaks to an OC1. I have to get rid of back pain and sitting up with my knees bent is beter for me. Thoughts.

Submitted by jakeben on Fri, 03/23/2012 - 7:58am

Jakeben,

Depends on what you mean by "touring." With OC1s storage is an issue. Most come with some sort of deck bungees but no interior storage with water proof hatches, though Huki has small round hatches as an option. So, if just day tripping not really a problem, if overnight or longer I think there would be significant more challenges to packing gear than found with a sea kayak.

I paddle kayak, surfski, and OC1 and find they compliment each other. Main thing for me is to prevent overuse injuries, alternating from kayak stroke to canoe stroke on different days helps.

Steve

#1 Sat, 03/24/2012 - 8:16am

An OC-1's lack of storage, tie-downs, and lifting handles will make anthing more than a daytrip a problem. Historically they have been designed for speed only.

Since OC-1 on the whole are lighter than seakayaks, they are more sensitive to the addition of "cargo." If the main hull sinks in relation to the ama, the OC-1s performance is going to change radically and there aren't many options for adjustment with aluminum piping.

Also many seakayaks have retractable rudders for beaching. Not so with OC-1s and with more weight that rudder sinks deeper into the water.

I'd take a look at V-1s. Many have significant cockpits, no rudders, and their wood iako set ups allow for greater adjustability.

#2 Sun, 03/25/2012 - 6:47am

Regarding the back issue, I found an OC1 is easier on my lower back, than a ski (kayak stroke). I use a modified stroke, where i keep my back straight, and dont lean forward. It's not a fast, but it gets me out there to enjoy the water and to help the core strong. Like others have noted, an OC1 is not really suited for "touring". I have tried to fish on them in the ocean, and always end up wet.

#3 Sun, 03/25/2012 - 2:55pm

Thank you can I ask you one more question. I have a Kaolele from on order and hope it is as stable as an ocean kayak. What is your opinion.

Tha nks

#4 Fri, 04/20/2012 - 5:40am

I personally don't think that any OC1 is anywhere as stable as an ocean kayak.

More fun - hell yes, more stable - definitely no.

#5 Fri, 04/20/2012 - 6:12am

You could consider a Huki OC-1 with a retrofitted Gullwing. Sounds nuts but it actually works beautifully. This config is surprisingly well balanced and stable and in my opinion promotes ergonomic balance since the paddler worries less about leaning to prevent huli. One actually winds up flying the ama (and the wing) almost all the time. Slower than a classic OC-1 but here in the North Atlantic I have no intention of racing (there are no other OC-1s around here) and our waters are freezing (we have icebergs now) so I have my reasons for this set up. The other advantage is that the Huki has large stow areas if the deck is fitted with hatches. The wing itself can serve as a further lashpoint for very light gear. Ultralight camping gear easily fits in the hull since the hatches are cantilevered and long objects like poles can be fitted down into the hull. With enough planning and the right ultralight gear, paddle camping on such a rig is possible as long as drinking/cooking water can be obtained along the way. BTW I am the same with kayaks, the leg positions make me numb very fast. OC-1 is more like a biking position.
Good luck...

#6 Fri, 04/20/2012 - 9:03am

You should try the upper Mississippi, though there are a couple of dams to portage around up there somewhere. And there's always the boat trip over to Isle Royale and kayaking around the island, which I've heard is marvelous.
touring kayak

#7 Mon, 04/23/2012 - 9:25pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.149 seconds.