Proposed rules to limit commercial activity in Kailua Bay

The Kailua Neighborhood Board is discussing ways to limit commercial ventures at Kailua Beach Park due to traffic and congestion complaints:
BOARD MOTIONS
Motion 1: Oral report and motion by Kailua Beach Park Permitted Interaction Group (P.I.G): The KNB No. 31 requests the City to solicit a single?vendor concession contract for Kailua Beach Park in accordance with the following provisions:
1. One exclusive, single?concession contract by competitive best value bid limited to all listed commercial activities.
2. No concession activities or rentals permitted beginning Saturday at 1:00 p.m. through Monday 6:30 a.m., holidays and special events – with the exception of the snack bar, snorkels, and chairs.
3. Concession to operate out of existing snack bar building or a temporary kiosk of specified limited size.
4. Concession kayaks and paddle boards from the concession to be launched into Kaelepulu Stream in the vicinity of the lifeguard stand only.
5. No vendor signs except at concession stand/kiosk with those limited in size and limited to briefly describing the equipment and rates.
6. The first vendor contract will be limited to four years including a two?year base period with one two?year extension option. Beginning at three years into the contract, the Director must begin a review, including a public hearing in Kailua, to determine the success or efficacy of the single?vendor contract. The contract automatically ends at the end of the first four years with the Director entertaining competing bids, should the single?vendor concept be extended.

1. Permitted rental equipment and limits:
    Kayaks 50
    Sailboards 12
    Boogie Boards 35
    Paddle Boards 25
    Snack bar 1
    Snorkel No limit
    Beach chairs 50
    Kite Boards 4 (if allowed by park rules)
  2. Concession vendor?rented kayaks (subject to above limit) may be rented as part of a guided tour with the tour guide certified by an appropriate industry group or the like.
  3. The food service will be limited to snack bar?type operations. No tables, awnings or umbrellas to provide an eating area. No sit?down restaurant type activities.
  4. The City will not allow commercial activity within Kailua Beach Park other than that allowed by the single?vendor contract.
  5. The City will actively ensure that the single vendor is protected from competing illegal vendors on Park property. The City will issue citations per the appropriate rules and ordinances.
  6. Kite boards can be rented only on non-holiday weekdays during early morning hours and returned no later than 8:30 a.m. or rented after 4:00 p.m. only. Instructors must be certified by an appropriate industry group or the like.
  7. All Kayaks (concession, rental and private) shall only be launched from the area currently designated by DLNR for kayak launching, i.e. along the mouth of Kaelepulu Stream.
  8. All sail-boards (concession, rental and private) shall only be launched from the existing DLNR?designated area at the North end of the Park as is currently required.
  9. All watercraft must be launched in accordance with DLNR rules.

Submitted by Aeloa on Thu, 01/26/2012 - 9:47pm

Yeaaaahhhh!!!!! More rules and regulations!!!!!

I'm sure this is a great idea as long as more rules and regulations are imposed on everyone else. Wait till Pa'a and Kanaka Ikaika have so much red tape to put on a race that it's just not worth it anymore or the cost get so high that people choose not to race unless its a really long race. People aready choose not to do the shorter races cause they say it's not worth $35 to do a HK run.

Wait till some Jackass thinks it's not good that people who use Ocean Playground shuttle should be able to park at Kaimana cause they are not acually there to use the beach. Then all the state needs to do is higher an officer to regulate the parking for $500 a day, then they need to figure out a way to pay the officer. Well what other way than to charge for parking at Kaimana or make people buy a wristband so they can enjoy the beach. So now who gets affected most by this? The working class people because for someone poor parking or your permit is a much higher % of their income than someone rich.

I am so over all these fucking rules and regulations in our lives. Almost no matter what we do now days there is a rule or a law we are breaking.

Also, your little rule about the director reviewing for the concessions just stinks of corruption. I have first hand knowledge of how this can and will eventually be corrupted in Hawaii.

I can't wait to start my own country will a limit on rules and regulations and an empashis on common courtesy, moral, sustainability, and common sense.

#1 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 9:27am

As a reactionary police chief once said: "Stay out of my quiet beach community, Lebowski!!" H.E: I think we all spent some time in that country growing up as kids. It's called Sesame Street. Won't you take me back there?

#2 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 12:07pm

@healthyearth - While I agree we have too much regulation, on the other hand we also have a good deal of ineffectual and rude ranting from behind the scenes.

This wasn't an opinion it was on the KNB agenda and is part of the process that makes the rules. This was posted because most people don't go to the neighborhood board meetings to know what is going on, let alone voice their concerns. If you have a position it's clear what you need to do...be a positive and proactive part of the solution.

The next board meeting is on 2/16 at 7:00pm in the Kailua Rec Center, so show up and calmly and politely speak your opinion, it's democracy at it's most fundamental level.

Although moving to your country sounds good to me, hmmm...except I question whether you will be able to pull off the common courtesy part.

#3 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 1:01pm

By my read, (http://www1.honolulu.gov/nco/nb31/12/31201202ag.pdf) the next board meeting is 2/2 at 7pm, although I think the Parks and Rec Committee meets on 2/16.
@ Aeloa- Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

#4 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 1:46pm

@Aeloa
I knew it wasn't an opinion piece. I didn't address anything towards you. But, neither was mine.......mine was FACT!!

#5 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 3:47pm

thanks healthyearth. i was thinking something similar although perhaps i wasn't as angry. once rules are put into law the limits must be imposed upon everyone. if they aren't the the city or state would face a lawsuit from businesses saying they are being discriminated against. with limit of 50 kayaks, 12 surfboards, and 25 paddle boards every race could be construed as illegal... scary.

#6 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 3:51pm

I don't think the proposed limit is a limit on public use of the beach park, or on the number of watercraft allowed at the park, but rather a limit on the number of vendors and number of toys said vendor(s) is/are permitted to rent from beach property. The limit is on the commercial activity allowed, not on public use of the grounds. This is a step (right or wrong) towards controlling the armada of plastic kayaks that is continuing to grow in Kailua...

#7 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 5:23pm

i understand the limit would be on business use of the public land. but what's to stop the businesses from banding together and asking how 50-100 one man canoes paddling out in unison or racing all out near a designated swimming area is not a safety issue as well? it seems it's a massive can of worms that will be opened when government starts deciding who can and can't earn a living in this economic climate. i've also been frustrated by a lack of parking at Kailua beach. but honestly rules like this will reach farther than the beach park. Kalapawai Market will get less business, island snow will have less traffic, the ripples spread outward.

secondly, when was the last time anyone went canoe surfing inside Waikiki at a break like queens or canoes? these are actually really fun canoe surfing waves and were used as such for decades. has anyone paddled over there in a 4 or 6 man(outside of McFarlane) for fun lately? if you have you're lucky if you didn't get yelled at by the surfers, the beachboys, or worse yet get cited for being in that zone without a permit. all of these things can and do happen in Waikiki.

i'm not saying business should be allowed to run rampant. but i'm also saying we could accidentally limit our own access by encouraging the government to impose limits on public lands/waters.

#8 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 7:53pm

The conversation needed to be started somewhere...flat island had at least 25 kayaks on it at one point last weekend.

#9 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 9:55pm

I think we have the same concerns... Not sure what the answer is, but I agree with novice c - the conversation needs to be started somewhere. My biggest worry is that without controls on the rental fleet, the controls could end up being placed on the access to Popoia and the Mokuluas...

#10 Fri, 01/27/2012 - 10:57pm

Any regulation of a single vendor is a corrupt situation. Piss off the wrong vendor, whos to say he won't start making life miserable for all paddler, divers, swimmers that go out in large groups, or tourneys/races .

A normal Sunday morning army of oc1 paddlers could be considered an ”event” without a,permit.

#11 Sat, 01/28/2012 - 3:27pm

er, navy...

#12 Sat, 01/28/2012 - 3:45pm

we had an issue here in hilo about paddle boarders at a popular surf break. at the end of the day everybody decided that the ocean is a free resource for EVERYONE to use regardless of the watercraft type. people need to learn to be tolerant of one another, not everyone loves oc-1, kayaks, or snorkeling everybody is just trying to enjoy the ocean. Regulations will be just another headache for everybody involved and end up costing every tax payer more money for rules that never needed to be imposed on a free resource. key words... BE TOLERANT. just my .02

#13 Sun, 01/29/2012 - 12:08am

Anyone know what are the current rules and regs for the amount of rental stands and such they have down in Waikiki? I can see that as being sort of a template for what they would impose in Kailua.

#14 Sun, 01/29/2012 - 8:16am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.374 seconds.