Rotator cuff surgery

Tweaked my shoulder during the Catalina race last summer and it turns out I have a torn rotator cuff. I'm having surgery next week. Just wondering if any others have had this surgery and how long it took you to get back OC/SUP paddling & racing? If you have any tips please pass them my way. Thanks

Submitted by Shaner.STL on Thu, 03/01/2012 - 10:08am

I would locate a physiotherapist who has a paddling background. Proper rehab and paddling specific rehab exercises to strengthen what may have lead to the injury is very important. You also may want to consider a smaller blade once you hit the water for the first few months....

#1 Thu, 03/01/2012 - 10:41am

The small blade idea is a good one.I have had both mine repaired over the last couple of years. Take your time and don't rush it. You may damage and it will be a couple of days later before it lets you know you just overcooked it.

#2 Thu, 03/01/2012 - 3:22pm

Shaner, All rotator cuff injurys are not the same and it depends on what the Dr. has to do to fix you. Speaking from personal experiance I completely tore my infraspinitus tendon and it retracted off the bone with the muscle. That happened on October 16, 2011 and I had arthroscopic surgery on November 15, 2011. I hope to start paddling again ( very gradually) on my one man around March 15, 2012 so that's 4 months after surgery. Some guys have told me they have been able to paddle 6 weeks after surgery, but I assume their surgery was different. The important thing is do what the Dr. sezs, have a good Dr. and physical therapist. I'm in So. Cal if you need a recommendation. It's been tough and I wish you good luck!

#3 Thu, 03/01/2012 - 4:01pm

I'm sure jack is correct that we are all an experiment of 1. I had pain paddling for a couple of years, but it was tolerable. Then I hurt my right shoulder badly skiing and while I could still paddle OK; I couldn't pull myself into the canoe. I wasted lots of time with laser chiropracty, therapy, xtra exercicse, rest etc; then I had an MRI done and found torn tendons. If they're torn, all the alternative stuff in the world won't help. My DR did the surgery and really wanted VERY limited movement for 6 weeks (sling); very slight after that. some exercising at 4 months and no hard paddling or work till 6 months. This is one time where I think erring on the side of caution is correct; if the reattachments don't take, you're screwed..
I'm now back va'aing, OC1ing, SUP and can get to working hard. The pain is from getting the muscles and lungs back into some kind of condition, but the shoulder seems fine.
Best of luck, get the surgery done, its worth it and while I'm usually pretty sceptical of DR's (they always say NO), an extra few weeks of recovery is worth it...you can paddle forever!

#4 Thu, 03/01/2012 - 4:32pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. Mine isn't torn completely like yours Jack, close to it tho. I'm actually back im St. Louis now. The doctor works with pro teams in town. Thanks for the offer tho on recommendations. Yeah, I've heard 4 months from some others. Like you said, it all depends on the tear. Like you Oldguysrule, my Dr wants me in a sling for 6 weeks, with a total of 4-6 months rehab. PT is to start a few days after surgery. I was just trying to see how strong others may have been at the end of their 4 or 6 month rehab and if the shoulder felt secure enough to race. I was kind of hoping to jump im some 9 man races at the end of the summer to have a goal to shoot for. Sounds like I might have to shoot for some laid back ocean activity instead. Guess we'll see how the rehab goes. Glad to hear you all are healing!

#5 Thu, 03/01/2012 - 8:37pm

One more comment, after surgery if you take Vicodone which you probably will, take a stool softener cause that shit will plug you up like you won't believe! Now I know what giving birth feels like.

#6 Fri, 03/02/2012 - 4:47am

Haha, I heard ab that but didnt know if it was true. Almost bought some yesterday but thought I'd wait and see. Def will get it now!! Ha. Thanks man

#7 Fri, 03/02/2012 - 12:01pm

Shaner, How's the recovery going? Are you out of the sling yet?

#8 Sat, 04/07/2012 - 4:36pm

Hey guys, sorry for the delay. Surgery ended up not being nearly as bad as the doc thought. My rotator cuff was only torn ab 40%, labrum was slightly torn. He just cleaned up those two areas and shaved my collar bone down some. I was out of a sling after two days. Started running a week after and was back in the gym after 3 weeks. Its been about 6 weeks now and my shoulder feels a 100% better than pre-surgery. My cardio is right on track, just working at getting all my strength back now... Will have that in 3-4 weeks. I'm not moving back to SoCal til beg of July, gives me two more months of training. I'll be in better shape by then than I ever was before getting injured. I'm looking for a place to sublet from Redondo Beach on down to San Diego. Depending on where I land, hoping to catch on with a club and do some 9-man races once I'm back.

How is everyone's recovery coming along??

#9 Fri, 04/27/2012 - 11:44am

as long as the surgeon didnt use any anchors in the surgery, you should be good to go. If there are anchors, allow for healing time, you dont want them to pull out. if they do, from over-use or strenuous activity, you will be right back to square one. good luck

#10 Sun, 04/29/2012 - 8:34am

No anchors... def got lucky there. Inflamation is the only symptom I have to deal with but I'm pretty much past that point now. Gradually progressing with the strength, things are going well.

#11 Sun, 04/29/2012 - 4:26pm

Good news for you Shaner, glad your shoulder wasn't torn up too bad. I had 3 anchors drilled into my bone. I've been paddling just over a month now the oc-1 up to 5 miles. There's been good days and not so good days. If your looking for a club, Dana outrigger is half way between Redondo and San Diego. Give me a shout when you get local and we'll have a arm wrestling contest. haha.

#12 Sun, 04/29/2012 - 4:48pm

Haha, deal man! Yeah, I'm thinking I might give San Clemente a try this time around. I noticed Dana was the closest club to that area. Do you paddle with them?

#13 Mon, 04/30/2012 - 3:50pm

This would be my 4th year with Dana but, I'm skipping this 6 man season till the shoulder gets better. Dana is one of the bigger clubs in so. cal. and it has one of the best locations on the coast. We have a excellent coaching staff led by Rich Long and we just acquired our second unlimited 6 man canoe.

#14 Mon, 04/30/2012 - 4:05pm

I'll have to get in touch with Rich if I land there. I did hear that you all had a strong club. Two of those canoes... must be nice! Shoot, maybe we can both make our comebacks during 9-man season. Keep up the work bud!

#15 Mon, 04/30/2012 - 5:48pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.512 seconds.