Rudder less

Since I don't have a rudderless for the rudderless race, which canoe do you think would work best if I take the rudder off? Osprey....Hurricane.....Pegasus?

Submitted by honeylulu4 on Sun, 07/22/2012 - 10:47pm

I would look for the canoe that is longest and has the most V in the rear of the hull. I could be totally wrong but I hope this helps.

#1 Sun, 07/22/2012 - 11:11pm

J

Out of those three the Hurricane would be a better choice than the Pegasus (I'm a Peggie owner). Osprey I know nothing about but from the reviews I've read I think a Hurricane would be a better choice.

#2 Sun, 07/22/2012 - 11:30pm

The Hurricane has the least rocker of the three and would track straighter with its thinner blade-like ama. The other two have rounder bottom ama's and more hull rocker for maneuverability in the surf.

Took the rudder off my Osprey once and it was hard to keep on track at all even in flat water.

#3 Mon, 07/23/2012 - 1:49am

Depending on the race you need the canoe for you may be able to borrow a boat. At the Race Around the Hat, paddlers over 19 years old you can rent a rudderless for $10 and those under the age of 19 will be able to borrow one for FREE. This way you'll have much more fun doing the race. If you do plan on borrowing a canoe make sure you register as soon as the form goes online. As always, boats are loaned out in the order that athletes register. For the RATH we will have registration up by the first week of August.

#4 Mon, 07/23/2012 - 4:46am

Or you could buy my V1 located in Tampa, Florida for a reduced price of $3,000 firm. This is one of the new FAA designs and was built to my specifications. It has only been paddled a hand full of times.

#5 Mon, 07/23/2012 - 7:02am

It was Jim Foti, on a Hurricane, that won the last "No Ruddah Bruddah" race that Anuenue Canoe Club put on in 2002 in very windy conditions. For flat water, go get an old style "Lagoon" canoe like the Horizon, which Lokahi Canoe Club uses for practice near the library at the end of the Ala Wai. Those narrow, 26 ft. long, and needle nose canoes really glide on the water w/o rudder. It would be interesting to see how they perform against today's modern V-1?

#6 Mon, 07/23/2012 - 1:26pm

Awesome! Thanks for all the info! Excited to race around the hat!

#7 Mon, 07/30/2012 - 9:44am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.164 seconds.