Storm vent plug modification and leash attachment

Just wondering if anyone has modified their rear plug on their storm to make it breathable like the more common plug and vent tube. original set up did leak even tightly screwed in so I added a second o ring to help leak stoppage. Also there is no leash attachment, I do use the front iako but looking for options. Someone mentioned one that can be glued on but long term not sure if I would trust my life with that.
Any help appreciated.

Submitted by Just Paddle on Sun, 11/11/2012 - 6:48am

I have seen one guy drill a hole on the rear deck that accomodates a standard plug as used on Kai Waa and other canoes- I don't recall where the screw plug is on the canoe. Leash goes around the front Iako.

#1 Sun, 11/11/2012 - 9:13am

This is what I would do for the leash problem:

-Get a single plastic bungee eye (or two for an extra factor of safety). Lightly sand the bottom for maximum epoxy adhesion.
-Rough up a small patch of the carbon on the canoe in the leg area (same size as the bungee eye)
-Epoxy the plastic eye(s) to the canoe ensuring that the epoxy is thoroughly mixed.

Disclaimer: This is in no way as secure as lashing to the iako, but does work for most typical conditions.

#2 Mon, 11/12/2012 - 10:29am

Use the expanding type pop rivets in conjunction with above padeye.

aloha,
pog

#3 Mon, 11/12/2012 - 2:54pm

Hi Guys,

I have recently test run several of the new model canoes and the Storm is at the top of my list.

However, I wanted to get the views of Storm owners on how rigid they find the connection of the iako to the canoe hull.

Best regards

K

#4 Sun, 11/18/2012 - 6:52pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.178 seconds.