strenght exercises

Hey everyone. I was curious to find out what paddlers are doing around the world to strengthen their stroke and pull in the water.

I've notice during my oc1 runs my top arm is not getting the initial full blade plant in the water before I start my pull. (Fatigue?)

I would like to correct this before it becomes a bad habit.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Submitted by reach.plant.pull on Tue, 12/04/2012 - 11:45am

Your core might not be strong enough to hold your set up for very long, therefore your body wants your paddle to rush back into the water to relieve it of stress. You can strengthen your core with a variety of planks, hanging leg raises, medicine ball twists, etc.
It could also just be a mental thing, just relax and be more patient

#1 Tue, 12/04/2012 - 12:07pm

That's because you're thinking pull first instead of push. Trick is to always make sure that the Top arm is Pushing the Bottom arm Forward. With practice, you'll understand the concept and be able to move the canoe with less effort.

#2 Wed, 12/05/2012 - 9:33am

thanks racepace and koacanoe! I will try these both out and see how they do.

#3 Wed, 12/05/2012 - 1:18pm

Deadlifts and squats.

#4 Wed, 12/05/2012 - 5:53pm

think about technique. Practice a lot- time on the water. Watch the training videos. Improve your surfing technique by being on the ocean. Don't worry about the gym as when you are racing you are on the water, not the gym. Aaron Napolean- case in point. Know the ocean.

#5 Wed, 12/05/2012 - 6:56pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.176 seconds.