WANTED: OC6 for the California Maritime Academy Vallejo, CA

Aloha Paddlers! I'm currently a student at the California Maritime Academy and am looking forward of starting a club or a collegiate sport here at my university. Here at CMA we do have a high Hawaiian culture and do have a very strong Asian/Pacific Islander club willing to paddle and make them feel more at home. All I'm asking for is information or perhaps donation/for sale of a OC-6 or a few OC-2/OC-1 to get us started with people to paddle out on our water way. Many thanks my Paddlers!! Any questions or comments please don't hesitate to shoot me a email.

MAHALOZ!!!

-California Maritime Academy Asian Pacific Islander Club

Submitted by bigbrownbaron on Wed, 02/08/2012 - 2:35pm

It might be easier to just join a local canoe club in the area. There are 20 existing clubs in the NCOCA.
Check out www.ncoca.com for a list.

#1 Wed, 02/08/2012 - 4:51pm

Hi, I graduated from Cal Maritime in 1987 (2E). I believe Benicia has an OC club with a decent amount of people. There are also quite a few surfski people in the bay area, with a large ocean race series each winter (Google wavechaser) . I have a lightweight, full carbon surfski that is beat up, but water tight, and ready to paddle. It is sized for someone in the 6 to 6-3 region i will donate. I can also give you a full carbon paddle. I dont know if you have experience with skis - much tipppier than an OC1, so you have to invest about a year of conistant paddling before you can paddle comfortably in the chop. If that is something you are interested in, let me know, but you would have to arrange for transport from San Diego to CMA, and I know thay may be difficult when you are in school full time. Send me a personal email if you want to discuss. Regards.

#2 Thu, 02/09/2012 - 4:33am

Just a reminder about safety. Starting up a new club is great and getting more people involed or reconnected with paddling is good.

CMA is near some dangerous water.

Make sure you have an experieced steersman, and you have trained everyone on huli procedures and safety.

#3 Thu, 02/09/2012 - 6:46am

Thanks for the information guys, we are currently networking with other clubs, but we are in early stages on getting things set to stone... It would be awesome if we did have our own Canoes to practice with, and im working with my Professors and Staff on housing our canoes once we do get them...

I really appreciate your guy's info and input :) Every little thing helps :)

-California Maritime Academy Asian Pacific Islander Club

#4 Thu, 02/09/2012 - 8:51am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.172 seconds.