Which Paddle for OC1?

I have started using a Kialoa Axel II for OC6. My Kialoa Hollyakala is now standing idle. Some say, "Cut it down an inch and use it for OC1".

Slightly shorter, I can understand for OC1 as compared to OC6.

But, would there we any advantage to using a slightly smaller blade surface for OC1?

The Axel II has a 108 sq inch blade surface, the Hollyakala is 102 sq inches.

Submitted by ho'okele on Wed, 09/12/2012 - 7:13am

Try either blade on your oc1 before cutting. Whichever one feels good - use that one. Paddles are like underwear - everyone has a different preference and you dont want just anyone touching yours!

#1 Wed, 09/12/2012 - 8:09pm

@jpi92109

Couldn't agree more. Just gotta go with what works best for you, which isn't necessarily going to work best for anyone else. Great advice jpi.

Don't be afraid to try a double bend in the oc1 if you get a chance.

-Gaucho

#2 Wed, 09/12/2012 - 8:28pm

Agree with above braddas. Whichever one you pick you will need to cut an inch off for OC1 as you said.

#3 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 3:10am

Thanks for your replies guys!

At this point I actually quite prefer the Axle II - maybe because I've been steering a lot this year and when switching from my steering blade to the Hollyakala the small blade just seems so diminutive in the water.

Of course if I want an Axle II that is an inch shorter for OC1 then I guess I'll be out shopping for a second Axle, eh?!

#4 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 7:14am

Lanikai Hybrid is a good blade as well. I use 52 any canoe I'm in. I make paddles but love the kialoa brand.

#5 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 3:35pm

mulus, that Lanikai has a whooping big blade surface area!

What brand paddles do you make?

#6 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 3:39pm

I make wood's for friends and club members. small time. more of a labour of love. I also have a Teva Hoe Hybrid I use once and a while. that's a big one. long blade. I use it on my Va'a tonight. it locks on really well. less cavitation more control. I wish it came in a single bend. have you looked at the Otoro I usually use a 52' I would like to try that one in a 54'. maybe under the tree at Christmas.

#7 Thu, 09/13/2012 - 7:18pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.188 seconds.