Winter Weight Training Workout help needed.

I am a senior masters woman with two year's experience in OC6 and about two months experience in OC1. I would like to increase my fitness level by working out in the gym over the winter in order to be prepared for our on the water distance training program that will begin in the spring.

I am somewhat familiar with general weight training principals and techniques however I would like some specifics with regards to resistance training for outrigger paddling.

I haven't come across much info on the web and wondered if I am perhaps just not looking in the right places.

I would be grateful for any links or recommendations to materials, free or available for purchase, which would help me build a off season training program.

Thank you in advance.

Submitted by ho'okele on Fri, 08/31/2012 - 12:36pm

crossfit.com
crossfitendurance.com
mobilitywod.com

Thats a pretty good start to build an off season regimen. Adjust workouts to your specific needs, and scale down workouts to your specific ability. Hope that helps.

#1 Sat, 09/01/2012 - 12:24am

A good read is here on Y2Kanu, Training Concepts for Paddlers.

http://www.y2kanu.com/trng_concepts_for_paddlers.htm

Concept V: Cross Training for paddling, covers some areas you may want to read up on for off-season workouts.

http://www.y2kanu.com/htm/training/con5.htm

#2 Sat, 09/01/2012 - 2:19am

Not to repeat but....

crossfit
crossfit
crossfit

I dont care what youre doing, this is the best thing you could ever do for your paddling. Cardio, strength, balance, and mental toughness.

#3 Sat, 09/01/2012 - 10:04am

Thank you for your comments and the links - great motivation here for this winter's training!

#4 Sat, 09/01/2012 - 1:14pm

Watch the routine at the end of this video, simple stuff you can do at home and it works.

#5 Sat, 09/01/2012 - 2:36pm

Crossfit is all well and great but it has no periodization in its programing. Depending on the instructor's education and background, you could be setting yourself up for injury as well.

For dryland training contact http://okanaganpeakperformance.com/ to discuss program options.

#6 Sat, 09/01/2012 - 3:34pm

Thanks for posting that video Rambo, not only was the dryland part useful but I picked up a couple pointers about V1 paddlng as well!

#7 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 11:46am

CdnKanu, thanks for your link but I wasn't able to find anything specific to va'a dryland resistance training in the site that you posted....did I not look in the right places....?

#8 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 11:49am

You have to ask, there's no info on the page, you can inquire with the owner Chris Collins about his outrigger training program.

#9 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 12:39pm

Thanks for clarifying that CdnKanu.

I live in Vancouver - would Okanagan Peak Performance have programs in Vancouver or are all their programs based in the Okanagan?

From looking at their website, I have to honestly say, I wouldn't think of contacting them about outrigger dryland training as it doesn't look like they offer that and also it doesn't sound like their programs are available outside of the Okanagan.

Again maybe that's just me and how I read their site but then again, maybe the web pages are not as explicit as they might be.

#10 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 1:04pm

There is nothing on their website about it as it's a program I had him develop last year for my training and for our club. He does distance programing as in he can set you up with an assessment then make the program and send you all the movement descriptions so that you complete the program on your own and check in at certain intervals with updates and he makes adjustments as needed.

#11 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 3:14pm

CdnKanu, that makes sense. So it would be like having a personal trainer for off season dry land training for va'a. That's tempting...it would be a luxury to have someone knowledgeable to work with to get a personal training program tailored to paddling.

We have lots of personal trainers down here but I haven't yet found one that knows specifically what's involved with va'a paddling.

#12 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 4:27pm

If you're in Vancouver, check in with Christine Pogue, tell her Stanley sent you.
http://poguesports.com/site/?page_id=771

#13 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 5:52pm

ho'okele, yr most welcome. BTW, Matahi was the technique and training coach for all the Aussies at Worlds this year in Vancouver. Results speak, especially the Juniors. Highly respected in NZ and Tahiti.

There is a follow up series of more advanced videos coming soon.

R

#14 Sun, 09/02/2012 - 10:06pm

CdnKanu, thank you for that recommendation. Christine Pogue does look like she'd be an excellent trainer to consult in relation to dry land paddling workouts. I'll continue to try to find some resources that I can apply on my own and if I run into a dead end may dig into my wallet to pay for a consult.

Rambo, yes, having watched the Aussies as the Worlds, you mean in Calgary, right?, I was very impressed with their paddling prowess. Well, for that matter, NZ, Hawaii and the one Tahitian team that made it (they were hampered by an air strike in Tahiti) were all mind blowingly impressive to this novice paddler!

I look forward to more videos presenting Matahi's techniques and concepts. In today's OC1 practice I already started to incorporate some of the pointers he gave in the video that you posted the link to. Thanks again for your help.

#15 Mon, 09/03/2012 - 2:52pm

Crossfit, its a great workout, but its also where joints go to die. Be careful if you have a shoulder problem.

#16 Wed, 09/05/2012 - 7:19pm

I came across this article:
http://www.hoewaa.org/About_Us_files/strength%20training%20for%20canoe%2...
and thought it may be of use to you. It's a pretty old article, but ...

#17 Sat, 09/08/2012 - 4:10am

Yes, thank you Kaiwiki, I came across that article too. It actually is the most specific information on weight training for outrigger paddling that I've been able to find. Still interesting to me that there's lots of general pointers for cross fit training but hard to find dry land workouts for paddlers, spelled out. I think it just could be because there seems to be a prevailing idea that the best way to get fit for paddling is to paddle! And in many parts of the world where they can paddle year round, that makes the best sense, eh?!

#18 Sun, 09/09/2012 - 5:18pm

What you are really looking for doesnt exist for the most part. You are looking for a trainer. They are out there but not too many that really know what oc1 racing in the ocean requires. The thing with crossfit is that its very balanced but the olympic lifts are pure paddling strength builders. You have to have the common sense to be able to say "this is enough weight for me". Any kind of circuit taining will help but you need to move some weight and get your heart rate up because.....thats what paddling does. You can do all the calisthenics and "dry land" training but if there isnt enough strength work you're just gonna have good cardio and not enough strength to catch a wave. Too much strength and not enough cardio and youll be able to catch a few bumps and then youll be gassed.

#19 Sun, 09/09/2012 - 6:30pm

Yes, jpi92109, I think you are right...what I'm looking for is not readily available.

Originally I was just kind of hoping for some rough suggestions like "bench press, lat pulldowns and leg curls are great exercises for paddlers but avoid cable cross overs and the woodchop".....in relation to building strength for paddling.

I've got the cardio covered with cycling and flat land distance longboarding but in terms of resistance training for strength directly related to paddling, its been hard to find specific plans.

At the moment I am working on the plan that was outlined in the article that Kaiwiki gave the link to however that article is slightly dated, April 1999, so I wondered if there was any more current information available to paddlers in terms of resistance training to enhance performance on the water.

It sounds like there could be a trainer or two here in Vancouver that knows the specifics of paddling, as CdnKanu mentioned Christine Pogue, for example, however at this time I'm reluctant to spend the cash on a personal trainer when I am familiar already with weight training principals and was just looking for a good combo of exercises that would specifically target paddling power.

Thanks for your interest in this topic and the brainstorming you have been doing on this thread to discuss various options.

#20 Mon, 09/10/2012 - 6:16am

Sprint canoe and kayak weight lifting programs might be easier to find. They of course are more power focused though, so you could just modify them slightly

#21 Mon, 09/10/2012 - 7:22am

I would work in some olympic lifts to what you are already doing. They do not have to be heavy at all. Deadlifts, squats, and cleans. Those 3 moves are all paddling stroke muscles - legs, back and shoulders - lots of pulling. Try 2 or 3 days a week max.

#22 Mon, 09/10/2012 - 9:30am

My 2c....
Your weight training should be an all over program rather than concentrating too much on any one specific area - this leads to an imbalance which will be detrimental in the long run. A basic, simple program that works all major muscle groups (chest, back, shoulders, legs & arms) is all you need. To work the paddling specific muscles, any kind of 'rowing' or pulling exercise will do the trick (pull ups, bench row, bent over row, seated row etc).You can mimic the paddle stroke on a single stack cable pulley machine as well. If you have access to a Concept 2 rower with paddle adaptor, go for it. Good luck.

#23 Mon, 09/10/2012 - 11:53am

Thanks hasto, jpi92109 and RacePace.

#24 Tue, 09/11/2012 - 3:54pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.218 seconds.