Ali'i Challenge - how realistic?

Our senior masters women's team will be paddling in the Queen Liliuokalani race this summer. We are training hard and really stoked about this race however most of us are somewhat inexperienced when it comes to races of this magnitude. A few of our crew has expressed interest in signing up for the Ali'i Challenge which is a fun event that is offered a couple of days after the Queen Lili.

Now, my question for you more experienced senior paddlers: do you think we are crazy to consider the 8 mile paddling portion of the Ali'i challenge after having paddled the Queen Liliuokalani and also maybe the V 12 during the previous days?

Submitted by ho'okele on Mon, 05/13/2013 - 12:37pm

I believe it's Ali'i challenge.

I think you can still sign up on Friday before the race. That way you can ask the organizers how many other senior crews there are. I would recommend that you go for it. May as well race every opportunity you can if you're flying to Hawai'i.

#1 Tue, 05/14/2013 - 9:31am

Yes, the race name is Ali'i Challenge. We have two divisions, Open and 50+. I would have to say this division break has worked very well....last year close to half the crews were 50+. AND, the crew posting the best overall time the past two years has been a 50+ crew from Kailua. I hope that gives you some inspiration! You can learn a bit more at https://www.kaiopua.org/ql-alii-challenge.asp and you'll find a link there to photos by Susan Bland Anderson who followed a crew during the Ali'i Challenge last year. Also on our Queen Lili'uokalani Race site you'll find a blog that paddlers and crews use to form crews. We have taken a few registrations for the Ali'i Challenge on the Friday prior, but I wouldn't wait that long. Entries are limited for this race and totally dependent on canoes available to loan.
The race, especially the land course, incorporates tasks with Hawaiian culture woven in, so I suggest doing a bit of studying and getting familiar with the area of Kamakahonu. Thursday morning (Aug 29) we will offer for the second year a free Walking Tour Historic Kailua Village. I think with information, I have given everyone enough hints for now. The race definitely is a challenge, but competing smart and cooperatively has proven to be the winning strategy.
Luke's advise to race every opportunity is exactly why this race has been added to the Queen Lili'uokalani Race weekend. It's a three days weekend...this race is for you!

#2 Wed, 05/15/2013 - 10:21am

Holoholo, you just sold me on the idea. Sounds awesome.

#3 Wed, 05/15/2013 - 10:51am

Great thanks for the info and encouragement guys!

Our team is keen and we now await the discovery of a 50+ men's team to join us in the Ali'i challenge!

#4 Wed, 05/15/2013 - 12:32pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.