AOCRA 2013 National OC6 Marathon Titles - Videos

Women's Long Course

Men's Long Course

Mixed - All Divisions

Juniors Under 16

Juniors Under 12

Juniors Under 14

Submitted by Rambo on Thu, 05/30/2013 - 1:25am

So how much are those Kamanu canoes going for? What they weigh? 3 out of the top four canoes were Kamanu designs.
Lots of variety of canoes there.

#1 Thu, 05/30/2013 - 10:21am

Healthy, There are 50 of the Kamanu Ha'upu canoes now in OZ, they sell for around $20g, race weight is currently 130kg but they have been built to 88kg without addition.

#2 Thu, 05/30/2013 - 12:11pm

Added Men's Long Course

#3 Fri, 05/31/2013 - 3:27am

All Updated

#4 Fri, 05/31/2013 - 10:57am

Thanks for posting these videos, Rambo, always a pleasure to watch the races in the warm southern waters!

I noticed that many of the steerspersons, would hold their steering paddle angled back, almost rudder like, at times during the race. Of course there were also many occasions where the steers had the paddle upright near their mid thigh or hip, as is the more common postion to hold the steering blade to correct the boat's line of travel.

I'm not referring to the steering maneuvers used to round the marker buoys....that's a different situation, but rather was noticing this paddle back technique during the straight stretches in the race.

I thought that holding the paddle back in a rudder like position would cause more drag but perhaps due to the design of these unlimited canoes, the steering paddle lies against the hull better when angled towards the stern of the canoe.

Can anyone clarify this or comment on the steering methods specific to these type of canoes?

#5 Sat, 06/01/2013 - 9:43am

I think you will find steering style has more to do with what has developed in a particular area and what is being taught by different clubs and coaches. The paddle forward of the paddler type steer technique is also a more advanced technique that requires more control, but yes different canoes can have "ideal" steering paddle placement areas based on shape and steering response.

#6 Tue, 06/04/2013 - 12:37pm

Thanks for your comments Rambo.

#7 Tue, 06/04/2013 - 3:22pm

ho'okele, some steerers use it to make small adjustments to keep the canoe on line. It's not used to make large directional changes rather than small subtle adjustments to keep the canoe from wondering off course.

#8 Tue, 06/04/2013 - 8:48pm

hasto, yes, I wondered if maybe that's what they were doing, adding the little tweak at the end of their paddle stroke while steering. I saw quite a few steerspersons doing that so I wondered about whether it was, as Rambo mentioned, just their style, or a response to the unlimited canoe hull shape. From what you said, the little move at the back of the stroke could correct some of the directional influence that the steersperson's paddling was causing. I'm going to try that out myself, seems like a good little skill to have in a steersperson's bag of tricks.

#9 Wed, 06/05/2013 - 10:29am

To further understand it, look at the steering differences between the Mirage/Bradley and the new unlimited design canoes. The former respond to steering corrections faster and easier, the later requiring more effort and for longer COMPARATIVELY. Then again, one tracks better than the other so requires less correction and allows the steerer to paddle more, so any "micro corrections" that can be incorporated into the steerers technique will benefit that canoe. So yeah, you will notice differences when watching steerers paddle the different canoes and adapt to each one.

The new Revolution canoe ( which you can see in the videos) is different again, as it has a very full waterline at the bow and not much at the stern, strangely enough, it TURNS awesome.

imagescreenshot capture

#10 Wed, 06/05/2013 - 2:38pm

I find this very interesting Rambo, thanks for your explanation. Having never paddled, or steered, an unlimited canoe, I was taking at guess at what they might be like from seat 6's perspective. Makes sense, what you say about their tracking ability, if the boat tracks well then it will be reluctant to change course and therefore require more effort to make major steering ajustments. But the gain is the opportunity for the steer to paddle more in a boat that tracks well.

#11 Wed, 06/05/2013 - 2:32pm

In a Bradley or a Mirage, poking backwards can be awkward due to the shape of the hull (the rocker). I think it also depends on the conditions and the weight of your crew. If it's flat and you have a heavy crew, I believe it should be less of an issue. Next time you are steering, try the different angles and ask your stroke if he/she notices any difference. I've paddled a lot in seat 1 and one of the worst feelings is when you're getting into a groove and the person in seat 6 unleashes a big poke. So I believe this is a very important question. :-)

Caveat: I'm not really a steersman.

#12 Wed, 06/12/2013 - 11:51am

We're lucky to have your videos Rambo !
I found these really usefull and helping as I we don't get too much coaching on this side of the ocean, and have to figure out how to get things done. (well, I'm lucky enough to get a lot of explanations from tahitian friends also, but I do like the video as I'm pretty good at copying things I see).
As a steersman, I'd actually be very gratefull to see one focused on steering only. Maybe it was done before ?
Long sequences from the best steersman in various situation, with various OC6 and V6.
I reckon it might be boring for anyone not commited in steering :-)

#13 Mon, 06/17/2013 - 12:16am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.199 seconds.