Bacteria in water at Racing Site on Oahu

"As the summer sprint racing season gets under way Sunday at Keehi Lagoon with the launch of the Na ‘Ohana O Na Hui Wa‘a's season-opening Kalihi Kai regatta, the venue will be available for paddlers as long as bacteria levels remain low enough to meet public safety standard" From Star
Advertiser

At the same time this is taking place, Oahu is contemplating many, huge condo complexes in Waikiki and surrounding downtown areas. Do they have the infrastructure to handle the waste water appropriately? Or will this continue in local waters. Don;t get me started on cruise ships especially in Kona and what they do with their wastewater, as well as the Ala Wai and its history

Developers win-Locals and paddlers too bad.

There is a lack of proper planning and an obsession for property tax and other tax dollars. This certainly is true across communities everywhere. I understand it is in the model we live in, but like many I just wish the effort behind pushing condos, housing development, Targets, Malls, etc was balanced with an equal effort for open space, parks, etc. Some cities and communities have done a proper balance-many have not.

Submitted by Kona J on Fri, 05/24/2013 - 4:26am

FYI, we were told by officials that the origin of the water contamination was the homeless encampment under the bridge where the river leads into Keehi lagoon. While everything you said is valid, fixing those things would not necessarily improve water quality in this particular case.

And yes, I was a boat-holder last weekend...

#1 Wed, 05/29/2013 - 12:37pm

Yeah, it'd be a huge bummer to make the city/county and state take some responsibility for all the waste water being dumped into the ocean by new development and cruise ships, and then find out that it didn't even affect Keehi Lagoon. What a waste of time that would be!

#2 Thu, 05/30/2013 - 9:06am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.169 seconds.