Bradley Lightening vs Bradley

I'm curious about the differences between a Bradley Lightening and a Bradley (does it have a model name?). Our club has a Bradley Lightening and I like how it handles, especially for sprints, when compared to a Mirage. We are being offered a Bradley 'non-Lightening' when we go to Kona to participate in the Queen Liliuokalani race this summer. As our crews steersperson, I am wondering what to expect when paddling the Bradley, sister to the Lightening.

Submitted by ho'okele on Sun, 07/21/2013 - 7:03pm

I steer in my club in CA. I am almost always steering a lightning or a bradley because i avoid mirages as i don't like the way they perform. They are very similar to steer but the bradley feels like steering a cruise ship vs a dingy. ok maybe not that much of a difference but the lightning is definitely better to steer. One of the members of our club is responsible for building practically all the bradley canoes in california. he also worked closely with Sonny to design and perfect the canoe. I have asked him this question before and he says that when sonny was starting to design a new canoe, one of his main goals was to make it turn on a dime and the bradley definitey does do that. this probably won't come in handy in Kona but I guess it is just a fun fact. I think you will be pleased with the handling of the bradley. In my opinion it is better than a mirage.

#1 Mon, 07/22/2013 - 2:01pm

Altolax, I totally agree with you, the Bradley Lightening is a delight to steer; I have found it is particularly well suited to sprint races due to its responsiveness in the turns.

That said, the boat we will be racing in Kona is a Bradley but NOT the Lightening. I don't know much about this 'other' Bradley. Has anyone paddled/steered the non-Lightening version of the Bradley?

Or perhaps I just received misinformation from the club that is lending us the boat. Maybe, in fact, a Bradley is always a Lightening and there is no other model?

#2 Tue, 07/23/2013 - 5:19am

nothing wrong w/ the oG bradley. better suited for smooth water than its big sister imho; great boat for a Kona run. enjoy!

#3 Tue, 07/23/2013 - 5:29am

We have a lightning and a few older Bradleys ( Bradley Racers I think ). Just from observation, the lighting seems like it has more rocker and seems to pick up a bit better in the small chop. Never had the pleasure of steering a Mirage.

#4 Tue, 07/23/2013 - 6:12am

I believe the progression (oldest to newest) Racer, Striker, Lightening. All three are good boats. I think the Striker and a Lightening progressively surf better than the model before it. I personally like the Striker better than the lightening for surfing our smaller California water. Unless you are a top crew, shouldn't matter to much. You can go fast and have fun in all three.

#5 Tue, 07/23/2013 - 10:21am

Thanks guys, you're putting my mind at ease about paddling the older version Bradley.

#6 Tue, 07/23/2013 - 6:54pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.164 seconds.