Broaching on wave

http://surfskicenter.com/2013/06/30/broaching-your-surfski-and-how-you-c...

This is the best piece I've ever read on broaching. Just think a canoe not only has to move hull but also an ama.

If you look at video, notice the front of ski uses a spray deflector instead of a cover like JP's new canoe. Anyone know why or what works better.

Submitted by healthyearth on Wed, 07/03/2013 - 10:02am

how do you not broach in a 6 man ?? what are the steerers responsibilties ?

#1 Wed, 07/03/2013 - 11:31am

I've been looking at surfing (OC1) totally different now after reading that and I'm really liking the results! I'm finding that I have a lot more decision-making abilities now that I'm not burying the nose into the next wave and am able to maneuver for better lines.

#2 Mon, 07/15/2013 - 7:31am

maybe so, Kileki,but ain't that the biggest thrill,burying the nose all the way to the 'iako and watching it slice back up as you gliding along?Besides,i don't think you burying it in the next wave,the wa'a never stop going fast,the nose pop out and you flying into catching the one in front.Anyways,that's what i feel .But i did find that info about broaching useful because he put down in words what we instinctively know when you catch one wave,you have to keep in mind which way the wave is breaking and keep the nose in that direction, and also which way the wind is blowing on the back of the wa'a,especially on our light OC-1.Aloha

#3 Mon, 07/15/2013 - 12:08pm

I agree with that, with ground swell. It's a thrill to get up surfing in a sweet 6' roller with the nose buried!

Up here in the PNW, we get some pretty good short-period 2-4' wind swell and the waves don't quite have the same sort of "push" that a strong ground swell has. But, we have the wind at our backs to keep us pushing forward. With that, I've found that keeping the nose free helps me maintain a greater overall speed through these bumps.

#4 Thu, 07/18/2013 - 5:52am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.182 seconds.